This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8235 / 53°49'24"N
Longitude: -1.5763 / 1°34'34"W
OS Eastings: 427991
OS Northings: 436438
OS Grid: SE279364
Mapcode National: GBR BB9.05
Mapcode Global: WHC9C.R5L6
Entry Name: Moorfield House
Listing Date: 17 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1256544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464803
Location: Leeds, LS6
Electoral Ward/Division: Headingley
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Headingley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2736SE ALMA ROAD, Headingley
714-1/61/718 (North side)
House, now architects' offices. 1855/56, restored 1979-80. For
William Glover Joy. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar,
ornate slate roof with fish-scale pattern. 2 storeys and
basements and 3-storey large octagonal tower on right. In
Tudor Gothic Revival style.
Main facade faces E; 6 first-floor windows, the third in a
projecting canted bay with projecting single-storey porch,
possibly an addition. The porch has 4-centred arch doorway
with 3 cusped lights over, in architrave carved with crouching
dogs and a deep hoodmould with male and female heads in the
stops; octagonal corner turrets rise to cornice with traceried
panels and tall ogee domes with crocketed finials linked by
embattled parapet with small gable over central plaque with
shield. The main range has tall windows with restored cross
frames, hoodmoulds, moulded string course, embattled parapet
and octagonal spire above entrance bay; tall Tudor-style
chimneys with 2 or 3 octagonal shafts each.
Tower right has Gothic traceried ground-floor windows,
machicolated and embattled parapet with gargoyles and with
attached octagonal stair turret with short spire.
INTERIOR: hall with stone cusped arches on polished granite
columns, wrought-iron balusters to open-well stairs. Gothic
Revival vaulted octagonal chapel and rooms with Tudor arched
panelling and ceilings with pendants.
HISTORICAL NOTE: 1856-77 the Glover Joy Family (William was
mayor of Leeds in 1869); 1877-c1885 Samuel Smith, tanner and
currier of Meanwood; c1885 re-acquired by the Joy family; 1891
sold to John Carr Nicholson, dry salter and manufacturing
chemist; 1936 bought for »1,650 by Elsie Thackrah of Harrogate
and became the Moorfield House Missionary College (the grounds
to E sold for 'Moorfield Estate' housing); 1939-44 taken over
by Secretary of State for Air as wartime administration
offices; 1944-73 Automobile Association regional offices,
additions to rear; 1979 extensively refurbished for use by
Fletcher Ross and Hickling, now Fletcher Joseph partnership,
(Michael Devenish (Fletcher Joseph Partnership) pers. comm.).
Listing NGR: SE2799136438
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings