History in Structure

5, Albion Place

A Grade II Listed Building in City and Hunslet, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7979 / 53°47'52"N

Longitude: -1.5438 / 1°32'37"W

OS Eastings: 430146

OS Northings: 433612

OS Grid: SE301336

Mapcode National: GBR BJL.YB

Mapcode Global: WHC9D.8S3S

Plus Code: 9C5WQFX4+5F

Entry Name: 5, Albion Place

Listing Date: 26 September 1963

Last Amended: 11 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464687

Also known as: Leeds Church Institute and Sunday School Association
Leeds Church Institute
The Church Institute

ID on this website: 101256656

Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Leeds City

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Institute Commercial building Gothic Revival

Find accommodation in



714-1/76/5 (North side)
26/09/63 No.5
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
Church Institute)


Church institute, now shops. 1866-68, converted c1982. By
Richard Adams and John Kelly. Polychrome brick with ashlar
dressings and stone ornament, steeply-pitched slate gabled
roof with ornate octagonal ventilator and spire. Gothic
Revival style.
Corner site with Lands Lane, 2 storeys and basement. South
front: gabled porch incorporates flanking buttresses; 5 gables
each with a tall Decorated window and buttresses between,
stone tracery and dressings. Ground floor: projecting c1980
apsidal shop windows set within remodelled openings (formerly
segmentally arched). Right return (to Lands Lane): huge
traceried Gothic window and flanking panels.
Richard Adams' earliest known Leeds building; he was architect
to the Leeds School Board from 1873, designed several
churches, d.1883; his practice was continued by his partner,
John Kelly.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Church Institute and Sunday School
Association was established in 1857 to unite churchmen in an
endeavour to extend religious and secular knowledge.
The original interior contained a lecture hall for 700-800
persons, seating for tea meetings for 250-300, and a reading
room and library of 10,000 volumes. Wall frescoes represented
St Oswald planting the cross, St Gregory, St Augustine and
medallions of the saints and ecclesiastical banners were
suspended from the roof. Exterior and interior illustrated in
The Builder.
(Kelly's Directory of Leeds: 1899-: 21; The Builder).

Listing NGR: SE3014633612

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.