This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9567 / 53°57'23"N
Longitude: -1.0901 / 1°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 459806
OS Northings: 451558
OS Grid: SE598515
Mapcode National: GBR NQTP.TD
Mapcode Global: WHFC3.7T53
Entry Name: 114, Micklegate
Listing Date: 1 July 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 464048
Location: York, YO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate
Built-Up Area: York
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
1112-1/15/679 (North side)
House. Late C17; third storey added and shopfront fitted in
late C19; further C19 and C20 alterations.
MATERIALS: lower storeys of orange brick in Flemish bond,
third storey of darker orange brick; rear wing of reddish
brick in stretcher bond, with brick coping and kneelers to
gable end; left return of mottled brick; right return
rendered. Timber eaves band and bracketed cornice between
moulded consoles capped with gablets; slate roof with brick
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Shopfront of plain
pilasters beneath frieze and moulded cornice interrupted by
moulded consoles capped with gablets; glazed shop door and
overlight to right of 4-light shop window over panelled riser.
Windows on first and second floors are 8-pane sashes with
painted stone sills and flat arches, those on second floor
cambered. Broad raised band at second floor level. Rear:
gabled wing of 2 storeys and attic, partly obscured by later
building. Attic window is 2x9-pane horizontal sliding sash
beneath segmental brick arch. Right return: part of painted
sign advertising Whitby Olivers' furnishing store survives.
INTERIOR: not inspected: RCHM records close string staircase
with turned balusters and flat handrail ramped-up to square
newels. Between the lower floors, the staircase is lit by a
2-light window with original mullion and high transom. On the
first floor, the larger front room is lined with fielded
panelling with dado rail, and cornice. Fireplace has early C19
marble surround. A room at the back retains an C18 moulded
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was the birthplace in 1803 of
Joseph Aloysius Hansom, architect and inventor of the hansom
cab and remained in the possession of his family until c1880.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
Listing NGR: SE5979351558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.