This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2131 / 51°12'47"N
Longitude: -0.8048 / 0°48'17"W
OS Eastings: 483579
OS Northings: 146671
OS Grid: SU835466
Mapcode National: GBR DB3.TLM
Mapcode Global: VHDY2.0RDW
Plus Code: 9C3X657W+73
Entry Name: Sandford House
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1258471
English Heritage Legacy ID: 445023
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9
Civil Parish: Farnham
Built-Up Area: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 8346 NE 5/85
(South East Side)
No. 39 (Sandford House)
C18. 3 storey. Fine red brick on projecting rendered plinth. Moulded brick strings at 1st and 2nd floor levels, carried over projecting surround to central 1st floor window in segmental curve. Fluted frieze with rosette ornament, moulded cornice with key pattern bed mould, broken forward over corners of slightly projecting central bay and forming pediment over bay. Brick parapet with stone coping, panelled over side windows and raised over central bay with supporting side scrolls 5 windows to upper floors, the central window segmental-headed with projecting surround and apron and with pediment over 2nd floor window. 4 windows on ground floor and central 5-panel door, radiating and curved fanlight of lead with rams head ornament, segmental arched in doorcase of rusticated jambs and narrow voussoir head with central key block and fluted Doric pilasters on face of rustication, with entablature or triglyph frieze, dentilled cornice and open dentilled pediment.
Extension to right hand of later date, 2 storey, brick with slate roof - 2 window bays and 1 blind panel and 3-centred arched stable entry with vermiculated rusticated piers and voussoir head on projecting springers with key block. Garden front pushed out by about 10ft and rebuilt in C19. Probably late C19 verandah across ground floor of slender fluted Doric columns and entablature; formerly with wrought iron balustrade. Interior has an early C18 style staircase illustrated "Country Life" July 31st 1942. This is said not to have been in situ 50 years ago. A small C18 staircase with delicately turned balusters and ramped handrail leads up from 1st to 2nd floor. Possibly one room with original panelling remains; window and door reveals brought from elsewhere e.g Chobham Hall.
Nos 18, 37, 43, 45 and all the listed buildings on the South-East side from Nos 19 to 46 (consec) (including wrought-iron screen before Vernon House) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8357546669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings