History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Little House Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Mayfair, London, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5065 / 51°30'23"N

Longitude: -0.1462 / 0°8'46"W

OS Eastings: 528752

OS Northings: 180252

OS Grid: TQ287802

Mapcode National: GBR CG.B3

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.FD1F

Plus Code: 9C3XGV43+JG

Entry Name: The Little House Club

Listing Date: 23 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262997

English Heritage Legacy ID: 433529

Location: Westminster, London, W1J

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Description

TQ 2880 SE
1900-/80/10031

SHEPHERD MARKET (east side)
No. 10 (The Little House Club)

GV
II
Townhouse, c1741, and part of the original Market scheme as developed by Edward Shepherd who also acted as builder. The exterior cased in stock brick with brick and stone dressing in the 1860s, when the original market tavern was demolished and several houses in the Market had to be rebuilt. Roof of slate.

Four storeys. One tripartite window to the Market, repeated on upper floors. Two window range to return. Shop to ground floor with bracketed fascia of original design and shopfront rebuilt to an authentic design. Flat- and segmental-arched openings turned in stone and banded; storey bands; plain parapet. Stacks to right party wall and
right rear corner.

Entrance on return, leads to full-height panelled stair bay; balustrade of original design. One room to either side of the stair, each panelled from ground to second floors. Of particular interest are two Gibbsian C18 fireplaces to rear room on ground and first floor. Regency period fireplace to front room, first floor, most likely installed in early C20. Of special interest are carved cabinet panels around the window in rear, ground floor room: C17 Artisan Mannerist style, most likely reused from a large piece of furniture and, like the Regency fireplace mentioned above, installed in the early part of this century.

No. 10 is reputed to have been the first building constructed in the development and to have been the home of Edward Shepherd himself. The survival of a complete Georgian townhouse within a Victorian skin is a graphic witness to the inferior quality of the original speculative construction which necessitated the rebuilding of many properties in the Market during the 1860s.

Listing NGR: TQ2875280252

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.