History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drake's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Wambrook, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8725 / 50°52'20"N

Longitude: -3.0072 / 3°0'25"W

OS Eastings: 329229

OS Northings: 108593

OS Grid: ST292085

Mapcode National: GBR M5.T7ZG

Mapcode Global: FRA 46LS.N9H

Plus Code: 9C2RVXCV+X4

Entry Name: Drake's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431560

Location: Wambrook, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Wambrook

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Wambrook

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in



7/119 Drake's Farmhouse

Farmhouse. C16, east gable end rebuilt and north-east wing added C19, enlarged north-west 1830s. Random rubble local
stone, quoins in wing, thatched roof hipped to right, rebuilt C20 stack left gable ends, stone stack to left of
entrance, brick stacks centre and gable end of wing. L-plan, 3-cell and cross passage with north-west wing fronting
road. Two storeys, 4 bays, first floor C20 window left, 3-light and 3-light leaded iron casement, 2-light end bay
right, ground floor left C20 window and inserted C20 French windows, 4-light hollow chamfer Ham stone mullioned window
with hood mould, C20 door with side light, 3-light window below wooden lintel right. Right return, 2 storeys, 3 bays,
dressed stone voussoirs to all window openings, C20 wooden windows end bay right, others leaded with wooden Tudor arch
head frames, 2- and 3- light first floor, ground floor 2- and 3- light mulioned and transomed, Single storey lean-to
at gable end containing postal wall box (q.v.). Interior: partially sighted, plink and muntin screen chamfered on both
sides to right of through passage; hall is said to contain a large fireplace with stair beside it, chamfered beams with
step and runout stops and a timber framed partition to inner room with heavy doorframe, Upper storey, above the hall is
said to have been a fireplace with chamfered lintel and scroll stops with 2 jointed cruck trusses forming a 4-bay roof.
In 1588 the manor of Wambrook was sold to the Drake brothers of London who then enfranchised most of the tenants land,
including Drake's House, now Farm, in 1619. (VCH Vol IV,1978;VAG Report, unpublished SRO, February l978).

Listing NGR: ST2922908593

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.