History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Updown House and Attached Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Northbourne, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2328 / 51°13'58"N

Longitude: 1.3135 / 1°18'48"E

OS Eastings: 631416

OS Northings: 153401

OS Grid: TR314534

Mapcode National: GBR X1M.NWR

Mapcode Global: VHLGY.Q87R

Plus Code: 9F3368M7+49

Entry Name: Updown House and Attached Outbuildings

Listing Date: 11 October 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428162

Location: Northbourne, Dover, Kent, CT14

County: Kent

Civil Parish: Northbourne

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in


TR 35 SW

Updown House and attached outbuildings


House. Early C18, remodelled c.1786. Rendered with slate roof. Main
elevation of 3 storeys on plinth with cornice and parapet supported by
pilaster quoins. Stacks at end left and at end right. Regular fenestration
of 3 half-sized glazing bar sashes on second floor, 3 full sized on first
floor and 2 on ground floor, all with louvred shutters. Central window
in elliptically arched recess, with segmental pediments over first floor
windows to left and to right. Central Doric porch with coupled columns and
cast iron balcony. Half-glazed doors with Chinoiserie style tracery.
Recessed wing to right, 2 storeys and attic, with parapet to mansard roof
and flat roof dormer, and 1 shuttered glazing bar sash on each floor in
elliptically headed recess, the upper window with a pediment over. Stair
turret on left return, with 1 glazing bar sash on ground and first floor and
blank roundel above, with heavy cornice and frieze on giant pilaster quoins.
Rear wing with kneelered parapet gable. Interior. moulded ceiling joists
and inglenooks survive from early C18. Pillared staircase hall and plain
bolection moulded marble fireplaces survive -from later C18. Originally
fitted up as Gentleman's seat by Captain Thomas Fagg of Dover before 1748,
sold to and improved by Matthew Colet Esq. before 1777, and largely given
present form by John Minet Fectorof Dover c.1786, who also emparked
the surrounding land. (See Hasted,X, 1800, p.41-42). Used as Dower
House to Northbourne Court (Igglesden,XIX, 1926, p.79).

Listing NGR: TR3141653401

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.