This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9198 / 51°55'11"N
Longitude: -1.2958 / 1°17'44"W
OS Eastings: 448530
OS Northings: 224824
OS Grid: SP485248
Mapcode National: GBR 7VM.P6N
Mapcode Global: VHCX1.H0BL
Plus Code: 9C3WWP93+WM
Entry Name: Heyford House
Listing Date: 26 November 1951
Last Amended: 26 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1266329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 421880
Location: Lower Heyford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25
Civil Parish: Lower Heyford
Built-Up Area: Lower Heyford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Heyford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LOWER HEYFORD CHURCH LANE
SP4824 (South side)
10/53 Heyford House
26/11/51 (Formerly listed as Rectory)
Rectory, now house. 1731, and 1867 by Charles Buckeridge incorporating earlier
elements. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and
Welsh-slate roofs with stone stacks. Central-stair plan with added parallel
range to rear and rebuilt cross-wing. 2 storeys and one storey plus attic.
Regular 5-window front of C18 range has a plinth, plus ashlar storey bands
linked to the projecting keyblocks of the plain-architraved windows; most
windows have 12-pane sashes, including the central ground-floor window which was
converted from the main entrance in the C19. A plain parapet returns around the
hipped roof. The C19 range to rear also has a hipped roof, and the garden front
has large stone mullioned-and-transomed windows, including a canted bay window
with a pierced quatrefoil parapet. The cross-wing, to left of the main range,
which is on the site of the C16/C17 house, is lower with a stone-slate roof, and
is in similar mullioned style but with parapets to the main gables and to the
half dormers; a short projection to left has an open porch sheltering a large
re-used C16 plank door with a moulded wooden Tudor-arched frame. Interior: All
features and joinery are probably C19 except for some chimney breasts and a
bread oven in the cross-wing which may be part of the demolished range.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p183; Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, p693)
Listing NGR: SP4853024824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings