History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 20a and 20-26 and Attached Walls Extending Along North Side of Passage to North West

A Grade II Listed Building in Malmesbury, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5844 / 51°35'3"N

Longitude: -2.0967 / 2°5'48"W

OS Eastings: 393396

OS Northings: 187287

OS Grid: ST933872

Mapcode National: GBR 2QZ.QQ3

Mapcode Global: VH95S.LFXR

Entry Name: Numbers 20a and 20-26 and Attached Walls Extending Along North Side of Passage to North West

Listing Date: 1 July 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460932

Location: Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Malmesbury

Built-Up Area: Malmesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Malmesbury and Brokenborough

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Malmesbury

Listing Text


MALMESBURY

ST9387 OXFORD STREET
758-1/4/273 (West side)
01/07/76 Nos.20A AND 20-26 (Even)
and attached walls extending along
north side of passage to north-west

GV II

Almshouses, now terrace of 5 houses. Rebuilt c1825. Coursed
limestone rubble and dressings with rear brick lateral stacks
and a stone slate roof.
PLAN: single-depth.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 2:3:1:2:1-window range. A
slightly canted range has openings with cambered heads, some
timber lintels, with C20 doors and casements, and gabled
dormers; Nos 20 and 19 have late C20 gabled porches, No.26
with original iron bracketed stone slate hood. Gables have
large irregular quoins and 2-centre arched lunettes at the
apex of each end gable. 4 lateral stacks to the rear which has
inserted windows.
INTERIOR: largely C20.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rubble wall with ashlar coping,
L-shaped on plan, extends north from NW corner of No.26 and
turns to the west (left), where it extends to meet Abbey House
Water Tower, Market Cross (qv); facing east towards the garden
of No.26 is a C19 lean-to.
HISTORICAL NOTE: formerly the Jenner Almshouses, founded c1640
by Robert Jenner, the endowment lost 1729 but continued in
occupation; corresponding N range demolished later C19.
(Moffat Rev JM: The History of the Town of Malmesbury and its
Ancient Abbey: Tetbury: 1825-; Victoria History of the
Counties of England: Crowley DA: Wiltshire: 1991-: 160).


Listing NGR: ST9340087287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.