This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3759 / 53°22'33"N
Longitude: -1.4521 / 1°27'7"W
OS Eastings: 436549
OS Northings: 386704
OS Grid: SK365867
Mapcode National: GBR 9MM.7M
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.NDRS
Plus Code: 9C5W9GGX+95
Entry Name: Victoria Methodist Church and Adjoining Sunday School
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456855
Location: Sheffield, S2
Electoral Ward/Division: Manor Castle
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield Manor St Aidan with St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38NE STAFFORD ROAD
784-1/6/689 (North East side)
28/06/73 Victoria Methodist Church and
adjoining Sunday school
(Formerly Listed as:
Victoria Methodist Church)
Methodist church and adjoining Sunday school. Dated 1899.
Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with
octagonal ventilator to nave. Single side wall stack. Gothic
PLAN: chancel, nave with aisles, transepts, south-east and
south-west porches, north-west tower with spire, vestry,
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, buttresses, string courses,
hoodmoulds, coped gables. Pointed arch windows throughout.
Chancel has a traceried 4-light window to east. Nave east end
has a single small lancet. Aisles have 4 pairs of single
lancets without hoodmoulds. West end has moulded central
doorway with shallow gable and single shafts, flanked by small
single lancets. Above, a traceried 4-light window and above it
a pair of tiny lancets.
Angle buttressed north transept has a graduated triple lancet
to north. Similar south transept has a single buttress and to
east, a lean-to porch with door to west.
Hipped south-west porch has a simply moulded west doorway with
shafts and to south, 3 single lancets.
3 stage square tower has angle buttresses, arcaded corbel
table and octagonal broach spire. Simply moulded west door
with patterned tympanum and above it, a single lancet to west
and north. Bell stage has a paired lancet bell opening on each
Lean-to north-east vestry has a blocked round window, and a
further lean-to to east with door and blocked window.
2 storey Sunday school at east end has to north 2
through-eaves dormers and to right, a flat-headed window, all
reglazed. Below, an off-centre 4-centred arched doorway
flanked to left by 2 windows and to right by a single one.
East end has a large square window with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: has roll-moulded chancel arch with shafts, hoodmould
and text. Plain wagon roof. Nave and aisles have matchboarded
single span wagon roof with arch braces, traceried gables and
stone wall shafts. Traceried panelled gallery on round
cast-iron posts. Transepts have similar roofs to the nave.
Entrance hall has half-glazed doors and cantilever stone open
well stair with traceried cast-iron balustrade.
FITTINGS include matchboard stalls and benches with shaped
ends. Panelled octagonal alabaster font with marble shafts,
traceried octagonal alabaster pulpit dated 1901. Nave has 2
early C20 stained glass windows.
Memorials include a First World War memorial tablet and 2 mid
C19 marble tablets, one with portrait, all resited.
Listing NGR: SK3654986704
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings