History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Norris Homes

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9706 / 52°58'14"N

Longitude: -1.1586 / 1°9'30"W

OS Eastings: 456605

OS Northings: 341804

OS Grid: SK566418

Mapcode National: GBR LMH.88

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.5LKJ

Entry Name: Norris Homes

Listing Date: 22 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271347

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454782

Location: Nottingham, NG7

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Berridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hyson Green and Forest Fields

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE BERRIDGE ROAD EAST
646-1/4/32 (North side)
22/03/88 Norris Homes

GV II

Formerly known as: Norris Ladies Home BERRIDGE ROAD EAST.
Row of 8 almshouses. 1892-93. By Watson Fothergill of
Nottingham for Mary Smith Norris in memory of her brother
John. Restored 1991. Red brick, with ashlar, blue brick and
terracotta dressings. Gabled and hipped plain tile roofs, with
terracotta finials and 10 tall, elaborately moulded brick
stacks.
EXTERIOR: deep blue brick chamfered plinth, moulded sill and
lintel bands to ground floor, 2 blue brick bands above.
Windows are wooden framed cross casements with leaded glazing.
2 storeys; 16 window range. U-plan. Symmetrical front, with a
recessed centre under 6 gables, flanked by projecting hipped
wings.
In the centre, 2 windows, 3-lights, flanked by buttressed
triangular porches, each with 2 plank doors with ogee heads.
Beyond, 2 windows, then hipped half-porches in the return
angles. Above, two 2-light windows in each bay, and gables
with patterned tile hanging. Hipped wings have a canted hipped
bay window, 1:2:1 lights, and above, a 3-light window. Left
corner has a bell under a gabled canopy.
Right return has a central pent roofed wooden porch, flanked
to right by a window and to left by an inscribed plaque with
side columns. Over the porch, a portrait bust in an octagonal
surround, to Mary Smith Norris, 1827-1909, flanked by small
window. To right, a round turret with swept conical roof and
weathercock.
At the rear, lean-to privies attached by side walls, and 4
hipped through-eaves dormers.
INTERIOR is said to retain original doors and staircases, but
not fireplaces.
(Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson Fothergill,
Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 10).


Listing NGR: SK5660541804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.