History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Stratton, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8308 / 50°49'50"N

Longitude: -4.5126 / 4°30'45"W

OS Eastings: 223157

OS Northings: 106483

OS Grid: SS231064

Mapcode National: GBR K3.WYG1

Mapcode Global: FRA 16FW.XG2

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 5 March 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 64743

Location: Bude-Stratton, Cornwall, EX23

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Bude-Stratton

Built-Up Area: Stratton

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Stratton

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Stratton

Listing Text

SS 23 06 BUDE-STRATTON CHURCH SQUARE, STRATTON

13/167 Church of St Andrew
5-3-52

GV I

Parish Church. C12 font, mid C14 north aisle, C15 tower, south aisle and chancel,
late C19 vestry, restoration and partial rebuilding of 1888 by St Aubyn and
Wadling. North aisle stone rubble, north arcade polyphant. Chancel, south aisle
and tower ashlar masonry, south arcade granite. Medieval dressings granite, C19
dressings, Ham Hill and probably Hatherleigh stone. North arcade Decorated, rest
of church Perpendicular in style. West tower, nave, chancel, 6-bay north and
south arcades, C19 vestry at north east. Chancel has granite coping to gable end
and 4-light traceried Perpendicular granite east window under hoodmould. Some
renewal of tracery. North side of chancel has square-headed 2-light freestone
cusped window under hoodmould. South side of chancel has similar 3-light window.
East window of south aisle 4-light Perpendicular traceried window under hoodmould.
Five 3-light windows to south side and one to west end of south aisle retain C15
granite sills, jambs, arches and hoodmoulds with C19 freestone Perpendicular
tracery. Narrow 4-centred arched chamfered priest's door on north side. East,
west and 2 easternmost windows of north aisle 3-light C19 Decorated traceried
windows under hoodmoulds. 2 westernmost windows of north side arched freestone 3-
light windows without cusping under hoodmoulds, probably C19 replacements of C16
windows. Blocked chamfered elliptical arched doorway in west wall of north aisle.
Tall 3-stage battlemented west tower with moulded strings and C19 Ham Hill corner
pinnacles with crockets and finials and grotesques at the base. Tower has tall
set back buttresses of unusual section and slightly projecting rectangular north
east stair turret. Rectangular opening on east wall at bell ringers' stage, 3-
light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery. West front of tower has C14 Ham
Hill doorway, window and statue replacing medieval Polyphant work. Elaborate
moulded 4-centred arched doorway under moulded square head. Order of vine carving
round doorway, flowers carved in square-headed frame. Small pilasters to either
side of doorway rise to frame west window and terminate in tall engaged gabled
crocketted pinnacles. 3-light Perpendicular style west window in deep moulded
recess has ogival hoodmould terminating in an engaged crocketted finial. Crockets
carved on hoodmould. Statue niche above appears to be medieval work. North east
vestry has flamboyant east window and 2 flamboyant north windows with ogival heads
to left of stone chimney. Porch has granite coping and kneelers and moulded 4-
centred arched granite outer doorway under sundial in gable. Porch roof
Perpendicular open waggon with moulded ribs and bosses, vine-carving on wall
plate. Granite tops of stone benches probably re-used coping stones. Circa early
C19 plank door of parish lock-up fixed to west wall of church is studded and has
the word "CLINK" picked out in studs. Moulded 4-centred arched inner door with
carvings in spandrels.
Interior: Walls plastered except for arcade walls. C14 Decorated polyphant north
arcade financed circa 1348 by Sir Ralph de Blanchminster. Piers are raised on
rectangular blocks and consist of 4 large shafts with quirks between. Piers
support double-chamfered arches. South arcade, rebuilt 1888, consists of
Perpendicular granite monolith piers of 4 shafts and 4 hollows with conventional
carved capitals supporting moulded arches. Open waggon roofs throughout with
carved ribs and bosses look largely original. Low tower arch has a sunk moulding
with a bead moulding round the arch. No chancel arch. Font, circa C12 bowl with
cable moulding at base set on mid C19 stone base. C17 5-sided drum pulpit on
wineglass stem has panels of round-headed blind arches. Some circa early C16
rectangular bench ends fixed to C20 benches have panels of blind tracery and are
carved with monograms and armorial bearings. Large chamfered arched recess in
north wall of chancel said to be Easter sepulchre but looks too small and plain.
Stair to former rood loft in south side, present rood screen 1901 by E H Sedding.
Mutilated effigy of cross-legged knight in window embrasure in north aisle
probably late C13. Arundel brass fixed to west wall commemorates Sir John
Arundell, died 1561. Brass figures, inscription and armorial bearings set in
stone matrix which was formerly the lid of an altar tomb. East window by Morris
Company designed by Burne-Jones. Good tower window and west window of north aisle
by Kempe. Westernmost window of south aisle by Lavers Barraud and Westlake, 2
south aisle windows by Ward and Hughes. East window of north aisle and
easternmost window of north side by Clayton and Bell. Royal Arms in plaster on
Lady Chapel wall. The restoration of 1888 cost £2,000 and involved substantial
repair to the tower and the complete rebuilding of the north aisle, Joyce Baylay,
A Short History of the Church of St Andrew, Stratton. (h.d.)


Listing NGR: SS2315506486

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.