This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9907 / 51°59'26"N
Longitude: -2.1607 / 2°9'38"W
OS Eastings: 389060
OS Northings: 232486
OS Grid: SO890324
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.0KB
Mapcode Global: VH93T.H7K7
Plus Code: 9C3VXRRQ+7P
Entry Name: Russell Almshouses
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376736
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 CHURCH STREET, Abbey Precincts
859-1/6/378 (South side)
27/07/73 Russell Almshouses
Almshouses. Founded 1674, rebuilt 1831, modernised 1958-1960
and re-instated 1989. Fine limestone ashlar front, brick
returns and back, slate roof.
Long narrow hipped block in 8 bays, brought forward to gable
at bays 3 and 6, 2 storeys. 2:2:2-windowed, all double chamfer
stone 2-light mullion and transom casements with stopped drip
courses. In brought-forward bays plank and nail-head doors in
4-centred arch with decorative spandrels under drip course;
above doorway sunk square panel with blank shield, and in
gable small lancet with drip course under obelisk finial.
Steep gable with moulded saddle coping and 3 finials. Full
height buttresses to 2 offsets, diagonal at ends, and square
between paired windows. 3 prominent stone stacks with moulded
cappings. Deep plinth, deep eaves on cavetto mould. Ends are
plain, with stone diagonal buttresses to outer corners, and
back with flush surround simplified form of front
fenestration; deeper window to stairs, opposite doorways.
Well renovated for modern occupation, the various dates are
inscribed in the front wall.
Listing NGR: SO8906432479
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings