History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Molland Barton

A Grade II* Listed Building in Molland, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.043 / 51°2'34"N

Longitude: -3.7227 / 3°43'21"W

OS Eastings: 279324

OS Northings: 128478

OS Grid: SS793284

Mapcode National: GBR L6.GLPY

Mapcode Global: FRA 362C.CJ5

Plus Code: 9C3R27VG+5W

Entry Name: West Molland Barton

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 24 November 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398418

Location: Molland, North Devon, Devon, EX36

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Molland

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Molland St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Molland

Listing Text

MOLLAND WEST MOLLAND LANE
SS 72 NE
14/97 West Molland Barton (formerly
listed as West Molland House)
9.6.52
GV II*
Barton, now farmhouse. Circa 1700-20 (attached stable block dated 1723) and early to
mid-C18, for the Courtenays, probably incorporating an earlier core. Some minor
early C19 and later alterations. Early C18 work of alternate bands of tooled dressed
large sandstone (almost of ashlar quality) and smaller dressed sandstone blocks to
front (early C19 work at rear of dining room also almost of ashlar quality); other
work of squared and coursed sandstone with some more finely-jointed bands, and
coursed sandstone rubble. Minor early C19 additions of tooled bordered snecked
dressed sandstone. Welsh-slate roofs, hipped to east and over staircase projection
to west. Stone stacks.
Plan and development: Early C18 front range, facing north, probably based on an
earlier 3-room and through-passage plan. Central through passage with dining room to
left (probable former service room), and small drawing room and large drawing room to
right (probably corresponding to former hall and inner room respectively). Early C18
remodelling included rebuilding of front wall to the right of and including the
through passage, the extension of the right-hand room to the rear with staircase
projection to right, and the pushing out of rear wall of the dining room to form
square room, with large external lateral stack. Probable former C17 range (present
service range) adjoining at right angles to left and projecting to rear, of 3 room
and through-passage plan facing west, consisting of through passage with scullery and
store (former service room) to right and kitchen to left (in position of former
hall), with lateral stack to rear (east) and old staircase to its right and with
dairy and larder beyond to left (former inner room). North end wall of this range
including front wall of dining room (former service room to front range), rebuilt
probably in the mid - C18 (see lower eaves and stepped joint to front). Most of the
windows (except for 3 on the first floor) of the c.1700 front were blocked in the
early to mid-C18, probably because they faced north. Most of the rear wing was
probably remodelled also in the C18, and further partly refenestrated (see blocked
windows) in the mid-to late C19. Probably late C17 gabled wing projecting at right
angles from rear service wing to east, incorporating gable wing wash house on ground
floor and probably formerly with chapel in attic; Chapel in attic probably added in
the early C18 when eaves raised (see differing masonry in gable end and small arched
recess to left of window, probably associated with chapel). Probably C19 lean-to
sheds to north and east of chapel wing and small lean-to added in angle of staircase
wing in the early C19 (see masonry): The exact development of the house, especially
the early period, is not clear, and the layout consisting of what appear to be two
former 3-room and through-passage plan ranges joining at right angles is unusual.
The front range is probably the earlier (although also the most rebuilt) and probably
formerly faced south, the principal elevation moved around to the north only in the
early C18. 2 storeys with chapel wing of 2 storeys and attic.
Exterior: Asymmetrical north front, with c.1700-20 part to right and later C18 block
to left. Right-hand part with coved cornice. Slightly asymmetrical front of 1:4
bays; boxed 18-pane glazing bar sashes of c.1700 (each leaf with 3 panes across and 3
up), with wide glazing bars, crown glass and moulded wooden cornices above frame;
c.1700 windows, except for 3 first-floor windows blocked in the early to mid - C18
with dressed sandstone almost of ashlar quality. Inserted first floor mid-C18 12-
pane boxed glazing bar sash between first and second blocked windows from right.
Probably early C19 4-panelled door to left (lower 2 panels beaded flush, upper 2
raised and fielded) with painted wooden lintel. Doorway reduced in width at some
time, probably in the early to mid-C18 (see straight joint to left and lintel
projecting further to left). Carved stone coat of arms of the Courtenay family
above door between first and second first-floor windows from left, set in recess with
banner inscription below (partly illegible at time of survey - August 1987) and stone
coving above. Mid - C18 part to left, with cavetto-moulded plinth. 3 bays; mainly
3-light wooden casements with chamfered stone cills dressed stone arches with raised
keystones (made up of large blocks of stone with smaller inscribed voussoirs). C18
left-hand ground-floor window with ovolo-moulded mullions and frame and square-leaded
lights with stanchions and saddle bars (window lights dairy). Rendered blind first-
floor left-hand window, without cill. Central ground-floor window and 2 right-hand
first-floor windows are C19 and C20 wooden casements. Right-hand ground-floor window
(lighting dining room) is inserted mid - to late C18 sixteen-pane (each leaf with 4
panes along and 2 up) glazing bar sash (note line of reveal of former window in wall
to right). Rear of former hall range to left has large external stone stack with
chamfered offsets, weathering to chamfered cap and raised stone sundial on shaft with
wrought-iron gnomon. First-floor 8-paned horned sash with painted wooden lintel to
right of stack (evidence of blocked window to right - see straight joint above
doorway), ground-floor small-paned wooden cross window below with stone flat arch,
and rear through-passage doorway to right with flat stone-arched head and mid - to
late C19 margin light half-glazed door with 3 lower panels. Projecting early C18
(see straight joint in corner to right) front wall of dining room range to right with
small hip over left-hand corner and slate hanging to small piece of gable-end to
left; large central stone stack with chamfered offsets, weathering and chamfered cap.
First-floor and ground-floor boxed 8-pane glazing bar sashes (4 panes to each leaf)
to left of stack, that to first floor with wooden lintel and that to ground floor
with dressed stone flat arch. C18 gabled wing projecting at right angles at left-
hand end: first-floor glazing bar sash with horns (probably replacement of a C18
sash) and C20 lead weathering over wooden lintel. Probably early C20 French casement
wih 4-pane glazed upper part and 2 beaded - flush lower panels 2-part rectangular
overlight and flanking full height 8-pane glazing bars sashes with horns, and 3-bay
flat - roofed wooden porch consisting of tapered square posts with stone pads and
moulded capitals, and frieze and cornice above. Stone-flagged floor to porch. Left-
hand return front (west) of wing and hall range: Staircase projecting to left has
tall probably early C19 8-pane glazing bar sash with margin lights and dressed stone
segmental-arched head. Catslide roof over small 1-storey lean-to in angle to right,
West front of rear wing. First-floor late C20 boxed 4-pane sash with wooden lintel
to left (formerly small paned glazing bar sash of c.1700), ground floor probably
early C20 3-light mullioned and transomed wooden casement to left and probably early
C20 wooden cross window to right (formerly door - see straight joints below, and also
suggestion of straight joint to right, possibly evidence of former window, both with
roughly-dressed stone flat-arched heads. Through-passage doorway between ground-
floor windows, with C20 boarded door and wooden lintel. C19 doorway to right with
boarded door, beaded pegged frame and dressed segmental stone-arched head with
chamfered raised keystone. Evidence of earlier fenestration including blocked
ground-and first-floor windows to left (partly obscured by later wall in front of
dining room - see straight joint in corner), blocked first-floor window above door
and possible further blocked window to its right. Gable end to front has 16-pane
glazing bar sash (each leaf with 4 panes along and 2 up) with wooden lintel. Rear
(east) of service wing: Internal lateral stack with weatherings. That part to right
of chapel wing has first floor C19 4-pane sash to left with brick segmental-arched
head, first-floor 2-light wooden casement to right with stone flat-arched head, and
ground-floor C19 3-light wooden casement to right (lighting dairy) with leaded square
panes, stanchions and saddle bars, wrought-iron bars to opening lights and stone
flat-arched head. That part to left of chapel wing with ground-floor window to left.
Chapel wing projecting to east of service range. Gable end to front has 2-light
wooden attic casement with brick segmental-arched head and probably C17 round-arched
chamfered recess to left of window with hoodmould, possibly formerly returned. Left-
hand (south) side has first-floor small paned 3-light wooden casement with wooden
lintel and small ground-floor 2-light wooden casement also with wooden lintel.
Right-hand (north) side has ground-floor boarded door to right with wooden lintel;
ground-floor lean-to in front has 3 doorways with brick dressings and brick segmental
heads. Lean-to returns to gable end with stone segmental-arched doorways. Wing
formerly with external stack in corner with service range, to north-west (see
rendered area). Cobbled entrance courtyard to north.
Interior: Through passage with reused C18 panelling and C18 stone-flagged floor,
which has geometrical pattern, consisting of large white stone flags with smaller
square black stones at corners. Small drawing room to right (former hall) has early
C18 bolection-moulded panelling with moulded dado rail. Early C18 chimney-piece to
rear wall, consisting of moulded architrave with marble slip, and overmantel above
consisting of bolection-moulded panel with raised and fielded centre, flanking
pilasters with raised and fielded panelling, and moulded cornice above. Window to
left of fireplace with panelled inner reveals. 2 mid-C18 cupboards in front wall
(blocked former windows), each with 2 doors of 3 raised and fielded panels. Drawing
room to far right: Bolection-moulded panelling (raised centre to each panel), tall
panels above and low panels below, with moulded dado rail and moulded cornice. Later
fireplace with moulded architrave and parts of reused bolection panelling and
overmantel with raised panel and flanking pilasters with raised and fielded panels.
Two mid - C18 cupboards in front wall (blocked former windows), each with 2 doors of
3 raised and fielded panels. Wide double doors in right-hand wall leading to
staircase, each with 3 bolection-moulded panels. Early C18 3-flight square-well
staircase with landings, open string with moulded nosings, turned balusters (2 per
tread) and swept handrail wreathed to foot newel. C18 five-panelled door under
stairs. C18 archway at top of stairs with flanking pilasters, moulded cornices and
round arch with key block. Dining room to left of through passage with C18 five-
panelled door and C18 cupboard with raised and fielded panels. Dairy with low slate
shelves, barred windows and wooden screen between dairy and adjoining larder, with
slats above. Kitchen with probably early C17 plastered deep-chamfered cross beam
(further similar cross beams in rear wing), and former servants' bells. Old
staircase off from kitchen adjacent to stack. First-floor rooms to front range have
early C18 five-panelled doors (large upper and lower raised and fielded panels and 2
small raised and fielded panels to centre) with moulded architraves. Bedroom over
small drawing room (former hall) has early C18 raised and fielded panelling with
moulded dado rail and moulded cornice; the central panel of each wall breaks forward.
Five-panelled doors. Fireplace to rear with early C18 bolection-moulded architrave
and C19 cast-iron grate with tiled reveals. Window to left of fireplace with
panelled shutters and window seat with opening top, which has H-hinges with shaped
ends. Front windows with window seats too. Dressing room to left (over through
passage) with early C18 raised and fielded panelling, and panelled window seat with
lift-up top. C18 cupboards along right-and left-hand side walls, consisting of doors
with raised and fielded panels, some with small-paned glazed top parts, and H-
hinges, some with shaped ends. One large cupboard with H-L hinges. Principal
bedroom in rear wing has C18 door with 6 raised and fielded panels and H-hinges and
rear room with C18 2-panelled door. C18 stairs from principal bedroom in rear wing
up to putative chapel in attic, with windows at foot, C19 moulded handrail and door
at foot.
C18 roofs, that over front range in 2 phases. Right-hand end of roof (c.1700-20) of
6 bays, with trusses consisting of principal rafters with corbelled and pegged
mortice and tenoned apices and pegged collars, and 2 pairs of staggered purlins.
Left-hand end of roof (mid-C18) of 5 bays with trusses consisting of principal
rafters and tie-beams, and 3 pairs of purlins. Servants' bell wire. Plastered stud
wall dividing each part of front roof. 3-bay roof over rear wing with trusses
consisting of principal rafters and pegged lapped collars. 2-bay roof over chapel
wing with trusses consisting of principal rafters and lapped collars. C18 2-panelled
door from probable former chapel on attic room into roofspace over rear wing, with H-
L hinges and moulded architrave. Old floorboards in first-floor and attic rooms.
West Molland Barton was the family home of the catholic Courtenay family until 1748,
which would explain the possibility of a private chapel. It was for the Courtenays
that the early C18 remodelling was carried out. Although with earlier origins the
building is a fine example of an early C18 farmhouse, especially notable for its
contemporary interiors.

Listing NGR: SS7932428478

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.