This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0431 / 51°2'35"N
Longitude: -3.7232 / 3°43'23"W
OS Eastings: 279291
OS Northings: 128491
OS Grid: SS792284
Mapcode National: GBR L6.GDMQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 362C.C9J
Entry Name: Stable Block Adjoining West Molland Barton to North West
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398420
Location: Molland, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Molland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Molland St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MOLLAND WEST MOLLAND LANE
SS 72 NE
14/98 Stable block adjoining West Molland
- Barton to north-west
Stable block. Dated 1723. Some minor C20 alterations. Roughly squared and coursed
sandstone, with render to wall around pigeon nesting holes at rear. Right-hand
gable end with C20 cement render. Gable-ended Welsh-slate roof.
Plan: Stable range with loft above, facing north. Carriageway at left-hand end
leading to courtyard to rear. Former coachman's and grooms accommodation to left of
carriageway (straight joint to left of door, possibly evidence of former wider
opening). Two storeys.
Exterior: Asymmetrical front. Small square wooden bellcote with pyramidal metal cap,
over carriageway to left. Loft doorway off-centre to right with boarded door and
heavily-moulded wooden frame to sides and top, with mitred joints. Underside of top
piece of frame with 2 mortices alternating with 3 round holes (suggesting that this
was formerly a window). Two roughly-central ground-floor C20 top-opening metal
casements (in old openings) with wooden lintels flanking central C20 stable door
(probably in old opening) with wooden lintel. C20 top-opening metal casement to left
(in old opening) with dressed stone flat-arched head and boarded double doors to
right (in old opening) with wooden lintel (straight joint to left of door, possibly
eviidence of former wider opening). Large boarded double doors to left with wooden
lintel. Blocked window with dressed-stone flat-arched head, between first and second
windows from left. Carved square datestone above double doors to left inscribed with
Courtenay family mark, consisting of winged-head motif above and lettered: "JC/RS.
IS/1723". Rear with 3 late C20 top-hung metal casements (in old openings with wooden
lintels and stone flat arches, carriageway to right with wooden lintel and 3 tiers of
L-shaped pigeon nesting holes to loft.
Interior: Chamfered cross beams (joists replaced in C20). Putative coachman's and
groom's accommodation to left of carriage entrance with corner fireplace in ground-
floor room (present tack room). Loft not inspected at time of survey (August 1987).
Listing NGR: SS7929128491
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings