This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3955 / 51°23'43"N
Longitude: -1.3257 / 1°19'32"W
OS Eastings: 447011
OS Northings: 166484
OS Grid: SU470664
Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.FN3
Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Z612
Plus Code: 9C3W9MWF+5P
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 29 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396437
Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Newbury
Built-Up Area: Newbury
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Newbury St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
NEWBURY NEWTOWN ROAD
SU 4666SE SU 4766SW Church of St John
9/1 10/1 the Evangelist
Large parish church. 1955-7 by S E Dykes-Bower, in a neo-Romanesque style;
extended 1982-3 by R Gradidge in a similar style. Red brick with horizontal
bands of brick in different shades. Clay pantile roofs. Diamond, leaded
windows. Nave of 9 bays, north and south aisles. Sanctuary with ambulatory
behind, and with vestry on north and Lady Chapel on south. Baptistery on west
with entrance porch on south-west; gallery above baptistery with choir stairs
and organ. Spiral stairs to gallery and bell chambers, in separate chamber on
north-west. Later parish roan adjoining nave on north-west. South aisle: 9
bays. Circular windows, alternating plain recessed panels with corbelled
heads. Lean-to roof abutting nave. Nave, south side: 10 bays, 2-light
windows at gallery level, with semicircular heads and relieving arches with
vertical polychromatic brick infilling and brick mullions. Single light
windows on clerestory level. Moulded string course at junction with aisle
roof and at cill level of clerestory windows. Dentilled brick eaves.
Baptistery south side: large, central, recessed semicircular headed panel
with raised dark brick header, brick forming a diamond pattern at the upper
level, above a 2-light window in lower section. Two, large 3-stage buttresses
each side of centre section terminating in promontory at bottom with large
arched head and recessed flank walls to oak planked doors. Corbelled eaves to
transverse gabled roof rising above nave. Baptistery west end: 3 bays.
Recessed Semicircular headed panels forming a blank arcade with dark grey
projecting header bricks above 2-light windows with segmental heads. Below
this are circular windows in deeply recessed openings with a central stone
inscription panel which reads:- AMDG
This stone was laid by
Her Royal Highness
13 April 1955.
On the left is a small planked door with semicircular head and on the right a
small window deeply recessed within a semicircular headed opening. Baptistery
north side: Similar to south side but with 3 small rectangular stair windows,
replacing the porch. Sanctuary east end: parapet to gabled roof. On the
left a single storey semi-octagonal projection to the Lady Chapel and on the
right a similar projection to the vestry. 5 bays centre section to sanctuary.
Recessed brick panels with 3 circular windows to ambulatory; small door on
right. 3-stage buttresses between recessed panels, rising to impost level of
top windows which are 2-light with pointed heads, within semicircular beaded
openings. 3 semicircular headed windows above ambulatory level.
Lady Chapel, south side: Two, 2-light windows with segmental heads of tile
slips. Wooden cross in centre with carved wooden figure of Christ. Steeply
pitched lean-to-roof to south wall of sanctuary; which has two large, 2-light
windows with pointed heads in recessed panels with tile-slip semicircular
heads and tile slip spandrels, and brick quoins. Coped gable to gabled roof
rising above nave level.
Interior: brick throughout. 9 bay arcades with semicircular arches to
aisles. Square piers with chamfered edges with mmlded stone bases and
capitals. Semicircular brick shafts springing alternately from bases of
piers, and abacus level of pier heads, and rising to a moulded stone corbelled
head which carries a shaped wooden bracket to concealed roof trusses.
Ceilings to nave and sanctuary are painted in geometrical designs on wooden
boards. Brick altar with painted Tester over, depicting the Dove of Peace,
with tongues of fire denoting the Holy spirit. Stained windows in the
sanctuary by A E Buss of Goddard and Gibbs. The church replaces an earlier
church by W Butterfield, which was destroyed by bombs during an air raid on
February 10, 1943.
BOE (Berkshire) p,181.
Listing NGR: SU4701166484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings