This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9274 / 50°55'38"N
Longitude: -2.9115 / 2°54'41"W
OS Eastings: 336038
OS Northings: 114614
OS Grid: ST360146
Mapcode National: GBR M9.PVLN
Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.HJJ
Entry Name: 28, Court Barton
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 24 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383382
Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Ilminster
Built-Up Area: Ilminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Ilminster
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3614 COURT BARTON
1939-1/7/18 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
The Old Library and No.2)
Formerly known as: No.2 Girls' Grammar School COURT BARTON.
Grammar School, now a dwelling. c1586, altered c1840 and
c1980. Ham Hill stone ashlar with a double-pitch slate roof.
Originally a single-unit plan, it was doubled c1840.
Single-storey with attic; 4-window range. 2-storeys to the
rear. 3 very large windows to the left of the facade are
4-light with ovolo-moulded stone mullions and transoms and C19
cast-iron lights with small panes. Over the door to the right
is a 2-light mullioned window with similar lights. The
entrance-door, to a lobby shared by No.29 to the right, has a
Tudor arch with foliate spandrels. Semicircular stone sundial
dated 1586 on a bracket.
INTERIOR: The schoolroom remains full-height, the mullions and
transoms of the window are unpainted and some of the glass has
C18 and C19 schoolroom graffiti. The large window to the right
now lights a c1980 staircase. A sky-light with margin panes in
the roof-valley lights the stairs; the rear range has 6-panel
doors and 8/8-pane sashes.
HISTORY: In 1549 Humphrey Walrond and Henry Greenfylde, both
of Sea, purchased a building on the site (then Charity Land)
and conveyed it to a body of Trustees. The schoolhouse was
constructed c1584 and there may have been early alterations.
Between 1822 and 1855 the Rev. John Allen brought great
prestige to the school and it was renowned for preparing boys
for Eton. In 1873 'religious disabilities' were removed; it
was no longer mandatory to have a clergyman as headmaster, and
the institution of a new school, The Greenfylde School (qv),
on church lands to the south began. In 1878 the old building
became a grammar school for girls. A plaque to commemorate
this is part of the wall (qv) fronting the building, listed
(VCH: Somerset: 452).
Listing NGR: ST3603714614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings