History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross House and Attached Wall, Gate and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilminster, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9274 / 50°55'38"N

Longitude: -2.9118 / 2°54'42"W

OS Eastings: 336013

OS Northings: 114614

OS Grid: ST360146

Mapcode National: GBR M9.PVGS

Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.HF7

Entry Name: Cross House and Attached Wall, Gate and Railings

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298356

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383376

Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilminster

Built-Up Area: Ilminster

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilminster

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text


ILMINSTER

ST3614 COURT BARTON
1939-1/7/11 (East side)
23/09/50 Nos.4 AND 24
Cross House and attached wall, gate
and railings

GV II

House. c1700, remodelled by Allen, Headmaster of the Grammar
School 1822-55. Rough Ham Hill or Moolham stone ashlar with
moulded cornice at eaves to south, and limestone rubble to
west, with stepped stone coping to right half-gable end facing
Court Barton (qv), and rusticated quoin to the corner; slate
roof with brick stacks. L-shape plan.
South front is 2 storeys; 3-window range, but was 4-window
range, the range to the left is now part of another dwelling
with an entrance to the rear. These windows have
bolection-moulded surrounds and joints to tops and sides
indicating positions of former mullions and transoms; 3
first-floor left-hand windows are 6/6-pane sashes, late C19
sashes to ground floor have 1/1 panes.
West-facing facade is 3 storeys, 3-window range, sloping down
to the 2-storey south front to the right; no windows to the
second floor, 6/6-pane sashes to first floor and one
horizontal 5/5-pane fixed light set high to the left of the
door, all in raised surrounds; the door is c1900 with 3
vertical panels to the top, one horizontal panel to the centre
and 2 almost-square panels with rounded corners and reeded
borders, to the base. The re-positioned porch is a large Ham
Hill stone ashlar Tuscan-style structure spanning the
pavement; it has round columns paired with antae on shared
rectangular bases.
INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: A low limestone rubble wall with Ham Hill
stone coping, a gate and railings with flat acorn-shaped tops,
similar to those of The Chantry (qv), and now enveloped in a
hedge, is attached to the south-west corner.
HISTORY: At the Reformation, the property was conveyed to the
Trustees of the Grammar School for use as a master's house.


Listing NGR: ST3603014621

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.