This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9462 / 52°56'46"N
Longitude: -0.6168 / 0°37'0"W
OS Eastings: 493042
OS Northings: 339648
OS Grid: SK930396
Mapcode National: GBR DPS.6WZ
Mapcode Global: WHGKH.H6JQ
Entry Name: Greyhound Lodge
Listing Date: 21 September 1979
Last Amended: 14 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382931
Location: Belton and Manthorpe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Belton and Manthorpe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Belton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9339 MAIN STREET, Belton
1315-0/9/58 (West side)
21/09/79 Greyhound Lodge
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
The Belton Club)
Former public house, now a house. Dated 1839, and
incorporating a resited bay window c1470. By Anthony Salvin.
Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 2
gable and single ridge stacks, with square coped double flues,
2 of them rendered. Tudor Revival style. Plinth, quoins,
stepped coped gables.
2 storeys; 5 window range. Windows are C19 casements with
stone surrounds and chamfered mullions. Slightly recessed
entrance bay has a 2-light window with pointed arches under a
label mould. Below it, a square panel with a greyhound, the
badge of the Brownlow family, in relief. 4-centred arched
plank door with ornamental hinges and label mould. To left, a
wing with a scroll dated 1470 in the peak, and a 2 storey
square stone bay window with hipped roof. On each floor, a
pair of flat headed 2-light windows with pointed arched
lights, and between floors, a frieze of shields. This window
was removed from the Chantry House, Watergate, Grantham. To
right, a double gabled block with a 2-light window flanked by
3-light windows. Below, a canted stone bay window, 2 lights,
with hipped roof, flanked by 3-light windows.
One of several estate buildings by Salvin for the first Earl
Brownlow, 1815-1853, of Belton House.
(Marsden J & Barber A: Belton House: London: 1985-1987: 46-58;
The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 136; Allibone J: Anthony
Salvin: Cambridge: 1988-: 163).
Listing NGR: SK9304239648
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings