History in Structure

Church of St Probus

A Grade I Listed Building in Probus, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.292 / 50°17'31"N

Longitude: -4.951 / 4°57'3"W

OS Eastings: 189901

OS Northings: 47728

OS Grid: SW899477

Mapcode National: GBR ZM.4QQN

Mapcode Global: FRA 08J8.70C

Plus Code: 9C2Q72RX+RJ

Entry Name: Church of St Probus

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62794

ID on this website: 101310352

Location: St Probus and St Grace's Church, Probus, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Probus

Built-Up Area: Probus

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Probus

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SW 84 NE
4/89 Church of St Probus and
30.5.67 St. Grace


Parish Church. First vicar 1300 (Exeter Register), present building is C15 and C16
restored by G.E.Street in 1850 and extended by St Aubyn 1904. Shale rubble with
granite quoins, dressings, buttresses and ashlar to tower, Delabole slate roofs
with granite coped gables. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and porch, south
aisel and porch and south transept. North wall has seven bays with gable porch to
second bay from west with granite 4 centred arched doorframe. Other bays have C15
Perpendicular granite 3 light millions with freestone tracery and C19 granite
ashlar buttresses between. East wall has 3 Perpendicular style windows under
gables surmounted by cross finials. Chancel gable was rebuilt in 1850
incorporating many ancient carved fragments. South aisle gable is 1904 as is south
transept with boiler room under. South wall has C15 set back buttress to left. C15
window like those in north wall. Porch with 4 centred doorway and relief carving
Anno G.T. 1637 R.B. 1768 in panel to gable, 2 C15 windows and buttresses, blind
bay, transept, window and pointed arched door 1904 under to left. Tallest and most
ornate Cornish medieval tower of 3 stages was begun circa 1523. West tower doorway
is 4 centred and has hoodmould which becomes second string of quatrefoil decorated
plinth. Fox and hound enrich string to north. 3 canopied niches with engaged
crocketed pinnacles embellish north and south lower stages. Single Perpendicular
bell openings with pierced granite screens between mullions and tracery to second
stage and double ones to third stage with a range of 8 smaller ones under upper
string to each side. Slightly set back buttresses are surmounted by crocketed
pinnacles with engaged corner pinnacles under. Further pinnacles midway along
crenellated parapet. Flanking north and south aisles have C15 gable windows.
Lofty interior has granite wave moulded between sheets standard type B (Pevsner)
piers with shields on capitals and 4 centred arcades of 7 bays to north and south
of nave. Those between chancel and south aisle are probably 1904. C16 oak
panelled screen divides nave from tower and C16 oak bench ends with words of old
prayer painted in English (post Reformation) now form base of rood screen. Further
reused oak panels in choir stalls and parclose, screen between chancel north aisle.
The mosaic floor, east window and panelled wagon roof in chancel are probably 1850.
North aisle west window glass is to Robert Lampen (former Vicar) 1853. Five light
C19 east window glass is to Hawkins family of Trewithen. Then step newel stair to
roof loft in north wall and C15 (or later) moulded wagon roof over and to north and
south porches. Nave has C19 scissor braced roof and south aisle has C19 arched
braced collar roof and 1904 barrel roof to east end beyond screen. C15 windows
have chamfered rear arches and tower has tall arch with panelled responds and
intrados, newel stair in north east corner. Interior fittings include brass
memorial of 1514 in floor of south aisle to John and Cecilia Wolvedon of Golden
Manor, granite Norman piscina to the sanctuary, a piscina in south wall near
screen and memorial of 1766 on right to Thomas Hawkins with seated female figure
holding medallion and an angel over. Octagonal font is 1845 to Sarah wife of
William Stackhouse. Bench pews are of church restoration 1851, a letter from
Charles Rex 1643 and James II Coat of Arms 1685.

Listing NGR: SW8990447726

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.