This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2418 / 52°14'30"N
Longitude: 0.7182 / 0°43'5"E
OS Eastings: 585682
OS Northings: 263886
OS Grid: TL856638
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.GD8
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.DXJ9
Entry Name: The Chantry Hotel
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1318862
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467532
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NE SPARHAWK STREET
639-1/11/587 (West side)
The Chantry Hotel
House, now a hotel. C18, in several phases. Cement-rendered
front, red brick sides, rear in painted brick with the top
storey timber-framed and rendered. Slate roof with a modillion
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 4 window range: 12-pane
sashes to the 2nd storey, 16-pane to the 1st storey, marginal
glazing bars to the ground storey, all in flush cased frames.
Entrance door with 6 raised fielded panels in a wood doorcase
with panelled pilasters and a triangular pediment. On the
north, an attached elliptical-arched red brick carriageway
with rusticated piers.
A late C20 extension at the rear replaces a C19 boundary wall
on the south. A stone tablet set into this wall has been
re-set on the new building. It reads: THIS WALL IS THE ENTIRE
PROPERTY OF THOS DE CARLE 11 SEPT 1830.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TL8568263886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings