This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8452 / 50°50'42"N
Longitude: -3.812 / 3°48'43"W
OS Eastings: 272528
OS Northings: 106642
OS Grid: SS725066
Mapcode National: GBR L2.W23N
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XV.SWJ
Entry Name: Kelland Barton
Listing Date: 4 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96514
Location: Lapford, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Lapford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lapford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 70 NW
- Kelland Barton
Farmhouse. C16 or C17 origins, rebuilt circa 1840-50. Plastered rubble, possibly
including some cob; rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick (one plastered
shaft); slate roof. L-shaped building with 3-room main block facing north
fossilized from former 3-room-and-through-passage house. Wholly mid-C19 block at
right angles projecting forward from right (west) end comprising stairs, entrance
hall and drawing room. Projecting rear lateral stack to central room of main block
(former hall) and end stacks to both wings. 2 storeys. Main front divided into 2
uneven bays by a panelled pilaster and another at left end. Inner bay has a 12-pane
sash to each floor and wider outer bay includes only a C20 service door. East-
facing front to wing has three 12-pane sashes to first floor, late C19-early C20
French windows and overlight with glazing bars to ground floor right and to left a
C19 4-panel door, overlight, panelled reveals and flat-roofed timber porch with
fluted Doric columns, dentil cornice and moulded entablature, set in angle of wings.
Panelled pilaster at right end and blind end wall has similar pilasters each end.
Deep eaves on pairs of shaped brackets. Roof is gable-ended to main block and
hipped to wing, latter with tall plastered chimney shaft. To rear oriel projection
alongside former hall stack contains a ground floor 12-pane sash and first floor 20-
Interior entirely result of circa 1840-50 rebuild. Former hall fireplace is said to
have been C16 or C17 but oak lintel removed after fire circa 1960.
Listing NGR: SS7252806642
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings