This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2683 / 53°16'5"N
Longitude: -2.1869 / 2°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 387630
OS Northings: 374608
OS Grid: SJ876746
Mapcode National: GBR FZ5N.B3
Mapcode Global: WHBBN.C3VR
Entry Name: Whirley Hall
Listing Date: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58342
Location: Over Alderley, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Over Alderley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Birtles St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 87 SE OVER ALDERLEY C.P. WIIIRLIIY LANE
8/176 Whirley Hall
Hall: c.1670 with C20 alterations and additions. Flemish bond orange
brick with buff sandstone dressings. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone
ridge and 2 brick chimneys. 3+-storey symmetrical 5-bay front
(2:1:2). Brick bands at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Lower 2-storeys
have C20 wooden, mullioned and transomed windows with glazing bars
under flat wedged brick"heads. 3rd storey has 2-light casements.
Above each pair of end bays is a stone-coped, shaped, gabled dormer,
with an obelisk finial, containing an elliptical light in a
rectangular stone surround. Central bay has a glazed door under a
flat, gauged and rubbed brick head. Similar head to mullioned and
transomed window above and 3rd storey has a circular light in a square
stone surround. End gables are stone-coped on stone kneelers
1-storey, 2-bay C20 extensions to left and right in keeping.
Interior: Original ground plan but only chamfered ceiling beams and a
good oak dogleg staircase with turned, slightly bulbous, balusters,
heavy handrail and square newels with some reeding.
This house was an addition to a timber-framed hall, now demolished. A
stone with "1599" was found during renovation but the existing
features point (with the exception of the gables) to a late C17 date.
Listing NGR: SJ8763074608
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings