History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sandbach, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1436 / 53°8'36"N

Longitude: -2.3609 / 2°21'39"W

OS Eastings: 375953

OS Northings: 360776

OS Grid: SJ759607

Mapcode National: GBR 010.XKL

Mapcode Global: WH9B0.P7YW

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Last Amended: 17 September 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330401

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56225

Location: Sandbach, Cheshire East, CW11

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Sandbach

Built-Up Area: Sandbach

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Sandbach

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Sandbach

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012


SJ 7560
918-/1/17
11.8.50


SANDBACH
HIGH STREET
Church of St Mary


GV
II*


Anglican Church. C15, restored in 1847-49 by George Gilbert
Scott, and signed above the west entrance. Sandstone, in many
places casing the original masonry; repaired in 1894-5
following fire at the west end; choir vestry by Austin and
Paley of 1930. Furnishings of various dates. Choir and nave of
five bays, with aisles, side chapels and west tower; choir
vestry projects from northwest. The base of the latter is open
on three sides and spans a public footpath across the
churchyard. Largely Perpendicular Gothic style, with
authentically medieval masonry of C13 and C15 to arcades,
particularly on the south side.
Interior furnishings of note include: Caen stone font,
southwest corner of nave, 1859 by builder Thomas Stringer,
with the Romanesque stone font opposite. Leversage Arms in
panelled ceiling, north aisle, c1587, choir stalls, pulpit and
carved Jacobean altar.
Excellent collection of monuments installed by Scott along the
aisle walls. Of particular note is the marble relief of the
Rev. John Armistead, M. A. Vicar from 1828-65, designed by G.
F. Watts and sculpted by George Nelson in 1876. For a full
account see John Minshull, 'A Short History and Description of
St. Mary's Church Sandbach, Cheshire', rev. ed. 1990.

Listing NGR: SJ7595360775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.