History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Rocket Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in St Pancras and Somers Town, Camden

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5283 / 51°31'41"N

Longitude: -0.1289 / 0°7'44"W

OS Eastings: 529892

OS Northings: 182703

OS Grid: TQ298827

Mapcode National: GBR H6.79

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.QV68

Entry Name: The Rocket Public House

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342072

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477224

Location: Camden, London, NW1

County: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/08/2017

TQ2982NE
798-1/89/417

CAMDEN
EUSTON ROAD (North side)
No.120, The Rocket Public House

(Formerly listed as No.120, Rising Sun Public House)

14/05/74

II
Public house. 1899. By Shoebridge & Rising. For Cannon Brewery. Red brick with stone bands and dressings and steeply pitched slate roofs.

Main building, three storeys and attic, one window, corner turret and two window return to Charlton Road; set back from Euston Road with single storey extension of one bay, splayed corner and four bay return filling forecourt. Granite public house frontage with pilasters with enriched capitals and banded shafts supporting fascia with projecting cornice and blocking course. Three round arched entrances (one on corner and two on return); windows with large round-arched light and small panes in spandrels. Main building with square-headed two-light sashes flanked by pilasters and with enriched aprons. Egg and dart main cornice at third floor level. Attic storey in large Flemish gables; west gable with windows in round-arched recesses and segmental topped enrichment; south gable with carved plaque of the sun rising over the sea and inscribed "Rebuilt 1899". Corner turret with enriched panels and ornamented lead dome with finial.

INTERIOR: retains original office and bar screen.

Listing NGR: TQ2989282703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.