This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1896 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.5075 / 2°30'27"W
OS Eastings: 365399
OS Northings: 254712
OS Grid: SO653547
Mapcode National: GBR FV.4BLN
Mapcode Global: VH856.H76B
Plus Code: 9C4V5FQR+RX
Entry Name: Natwest Bank
Listing Date: 12 April 1973
Last Amended: 2 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151020
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
815/1/189 HIGH STREET
(Formerly listed as:
NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK)
An early C19 town house of two main phases, converted into a bank and offices.
MATERIALS: The principal façade is red brick laid in Flemish bond with stucco detailing. It has a slate roof and brick stacks.
PLAN: The building is orientated north-west south-east, parallel with the road. It is double-depth on plan. The earlier, north-west part of the building to the right, is three storeys; the south-east, left-hand side has two. It is roughly square in plan with two extensions projecting from the rear.
EXTERIOR: The building is of three storeys. There are two windows to each floor on the two bays. Those on the ground and first floor of the earlier phase are eight-over-eight hornless sashes, and on the attic floor are four-over-four. On the later phase all windows are the same style and are six-over-six sashes. They are in plain reveals with the frame boxes flush with the brickwork; they have projecting cills and stucco wedge-shaped lintels with a headed key-block. There is a moulded stucco architrave with key-block to the round arched doorway, which is solid and panelled and has a plain segmental over-door light. There is a thick stucco band between the ground and first floors. There are chimney stacks at either end of the early part of the building, and at the south-west end of the section.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. The Natwest Bank, Nos. 38-44 High Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town which was known as Novus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Newe Streate in 1575. The street appears to have been fully built-up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION: The Natwest Bank, Nos. 38-44 High Street is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural: a well-preserved example of an attractive and well-proportioned building with restrained classical detail
* Intactness: a substantially intact early-C19 façade, which retains its ground floor fenestration in a street mostly converted to shops.
* Group Value: with its neighbours and many other listed buildings elsewhere in the High Street
Other nearby listed buildings