History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

128, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9938 / 51°59'37"N

Longitude: -2.1569 / 2°9'24"W

OS Eastings: 389320

OS Northings: 232827

OS Grid: SO893328

Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TS9

Mapcode Global: VH93T.K4KW

Entry Name: 128, High Street

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376838

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/256 (East side)
04/03/52 No.128

GV II

House in row, now offices, with shop. Late C18 front on early
C16 main fabric. Flemish bond brickwork front, timber-frame
with brick or plaster panels, tile roofs, brick stacks. The
high parapeted front conceals a steep transverse roof to
parallel-plan front range, beyond which is a long gabled wing
in 2 stages. Access to the upper floors is from a side entry
in Post Office Alley.
3 storeys, attic and basement, 3-windowed. All 4-pane sashes
under painted brick voussoirs with fluted or decorative keys
and cornices, stone cills. Ground floor has C19 pilaster shop
front with recessed central door, and a deep fascia between
console brackets under moulded cornice. There are blocked flat
elliptical-headed openings in the stall-board risers either
side to the basement. Concrete coped parapet, rendered right
return gable.
The long wing has steep-pitched roofs over square panel
framing with plaster panels. The outer gable has an external
brick stack. A flight of C20 steps gives access to the first
floor offices.
INTERIOR: the ground floor has been opened up, and has
full-width chamfered beams, one of these supported on 2
cast-iron columns. Large corner posts, formerly with jetty
brackets, are well set back from the facade, with the end of
the former jetty joists approx 1m inside the glass. There is
some C17 panelling to the party walls, and reset panelling in
a back partition. The upper floors, extensively restored
c1980, have many exposed timbers, including heavy jowelled
posts; one of these, back right at first floor, is unusually
heavy, and has a continuous vertical V-groove on one side.
There are chamfered and stopped beams, and the attic has early
rafters, and wind bracing. There are no exposed fireplaces.
This is a good example of a later facade disguising the late
medieval fabric, typically also with side alley access, which
facilitates differing uses of the ground and upper floors. A
sound and thorough restoration has exposed many of the
structural timbers internally.


Listing NGR: SO8932032827

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.