This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2512 / 52°15'4"N
Longitude: 0.7157 / 0°42'56"E
OS Eastings: 585471
OS Northings: 264917
OS Grid: TL854649
Mapcode National: GBR QDT.V1M
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CP63
Plus Code: 9F427P28+F7
Entry Name: The New Inn and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467015
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564NW NORTHGATE STREET
639-1/3/493 (West side)
The New Inn and attached wall
Public house. c1860, on an earlier site. White brick with
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar: on a corner site. A 3 window
range to each facade, all sashes with a single vertical bar in
shallow reveals with flat gauged arches. A raised stucco band
below the 1st storey windows; plain corner pilasters.
Half-glazed entrance doors have wood architraves with flat
cornice hoods on ornate console brackets: on the north front,
a plain rectangular fanlight also.
Attached to the south-east corner of the building and linking
with the north-east corner of No.41 (qv) is a short length of
garden wall in coursed flint mixed with brick and stone with a
ramped brick coping.
INTERIOR: no visible features prior to 1860 inside, apart from
the cellar which has coursed flint walling in part with some
Part of a significant group in Northgate Street and included
for group value.
Listing NGR: TL8547164917
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings