This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2484 / 52°14'54"N
Longitude: 0.7166 / 0°42'59"E
OS Eastings: 585549
OS Northings: 264609
OS Grid: TL855646
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.202
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.CRQ8
Plus Code: 9F426PX8+8M
Entry Name: 110, Northgate Street
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Last Amended: 30 October 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467027
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564NE NORTHGATE STREET
639-1/4/498 (West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
West Suffolk College of Further
House, subsequently the West Suffolk Grammar School and later
The West Suffolk College of Further Education; now converted
to offices. Early to mid C18. Red brick laid in Flemish Bond
with a parapet and moulded brick cornice. Additions on the
north and south sides.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 5 window range in the main
building: 12-pane sashes to the ground and 1st storeys, 6-pane
to the 2nd storey, all in plain reveals with flat gauged
arches. A central 6-panel door with the top 2 panels glazed
has a wood doorcase with engaged columns and an open pediment
enriched with egg-and-dart ornamentation and is approached by
stone steps with wrought-iron handrails.
The extension on the north has a 5 window range; its rear and
end walls are mainly in flint with blocks of reused stone.
INTERIOR: not examined, but the cellar is known to contain
some Abbey stone in the walling, including a re-set head.
(BOE: Pevsner N : Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 153).
Listing NGR: TL8554964609
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings