History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellington Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Milkstone and Deeplish, Rochdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6169 / 53°37'0"N

Longitude: -2.1563 / 2°9'22"W

OS Eastings: 389760

OS Northings: 413384

OS Grid: SD897133

Mapcode National: GBR FVCM.Z5

Mapcode Global: WHB8X.VCD1

Plus Code: 9C5VJR8V+QF

Entry Name: Wellington Hotel

Listing Date: 12 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1367054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358874

Location: Rochdale, OL16

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Milkstone and Deeplish

Built-Up Area: Rochdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Rochdale St Chad, St Mary and St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Description

This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 13/11/2019

SD 8913 SE
11/47

ROCHDALE,
DRAKE STREET (north-east side),
No 1 Wellington Hotel

(Formerly listed as No 1, DRAKE STREET, previously listed as Dukes Restaurant and Nightclub, DRAKE STREET)

GV

II
SUMMARY: former town house, now (2019) hotel and pub. Built between 1764 and 1795 as a town house for Thomas Smith

HISTORY: it was built between about 1764, when the vicar gained powers to grant building leases, and 1795, as a town house for Thomas Smith (1743-1806), a wealthy woollen merchant who built fulling mills behind it. It was later a school, then from 1818 the Wellington Hotel. Between 1825 and 1839 the police commissioners met here. In 1844, the building was still owned by the Smith family and the hotel was run by Elizabeth Richardson.

DETAILS: brick, appearing to be of various dates, the front appearing to have been re-faced, stone dressings and slate roof. Five bays, double-pile with three storeys and an additional wider bay to the right with a former bar entrance. Stone plinth, continuous ground and first-floor cornices and a modillion eaves cornice; steeply pitched roof. Pedimented Ionic doorcase as well as the entrance in bay six which has four Ionic pilasters and entablature. Window openings with moulded architraves, the ground floor having pulvinated friezes the first and second having sill blocks. Ground and first floors have Victorian sashes, otherwise glazing is C20. The original glazing pattern and some original brickwork is seen in the gable.

Listing NGR: SD8976013384

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.