This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0786 / 52°4'43"N
Longitude: 0.4438 / 0°26'37"E
OS Eastings: 567560
OS Northings: 245068
OS Grid: TL675450
Mapcode National: GBR NCX.R0C
Mapcode Global: VHJHH.M0YV
Entry Name: Anne of Cleves House
Listing Date: 26 June 1952
Last Amended: 4 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466406
Location: Haverhill, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CB9
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Haverhill
Built-Up Area: Haverhill
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Haverhill St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL6745 HAMLET ROAD
816-1/5/7 (South West side)
26/06/52 Anne of Cleves House
(Formerly Listed as:
(South West side)
House, later vicarage, now residential home. Early C16 with
late C16 extension and further later alterations and
extensions: converted 1985. Timber-frame with colourwashed
rendered and plastered infilling and brick plinth; plain tile
hipped roof; rebuilt diagonally set triple stacks of brick,
some diagonally set, some octagonal with star tops.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 6-bay front with jettied first floor and
exposed close studded timber-frame. C17 plank door beneath
stilted arch to left of centre: otherwise, ground floor has
three canted bay windows with early C19 metal casements and
three early C18 2-light cross casements with leaded glazing.
First floor lit by six late C18 or early C19 2- and 3-light
cross casements with leaded glazing. South window bay
originally early C16, with mortice holes remaining under jetty
for former doorway.
Rear: 2 storeys with cross gable to left with attic, and cross
wing projecting to right. Windows generally are C20 casements
except for early C19 full-height bay to gable wall of cross
INTERIOR: close-studded timber-frame apparent throughout, the
principal studs jowled to both middle rail and wall plate.
Chamfered bridging beams with tongue stops. Longitudinal
passage between front and rear rooms inserted C19.
Ground floor. Staircase has moulded string, stick balusters,
ramped and wreathed handrail and scrolled tread ends. Main
centre room (Tudor Room) has small-framed dado panelling, some
late C16, majority early C17. Small room to north of Tudor
Room has geometric plaster ceiling hidden by C20 suspended
South-west room (Thomas More Room) lined with intact
small-framed panelling of masons' mitre construction. Bridging
beams are cruciform, one having sunk-quadrant mouldings.
Fireplace with 4-centred arch is of plastered brick in timber
chimneypiece dated 1656. Lower tier of tapering Ionic
pilasters with strapwork decoration flank fireplace. 2-panel
overmantel articulated by upper tier of squat strapwork
panelled pilasters, each panel containing two fields of oval
jewel mouldings tied by lateral keyblocks. Pilaster capitals
dated 16 (T over), and 56 (M over).
South-east room (Anne of Cleves Room) lined on two walls with
small-framed panelling, of masons' mitre construction.
4-centred brick fireplace arch with sunk-quadrant moulding in
timber chimneypiece dated 1657. Tapering tiered pilasters with
jewel mouldings have dated and initially frieze blocks, 16 (TM
over) to left and 57 (AM over) to right. Overmantel divided
into 3 panels by jewel-moulded pilasters carrying cornice
enriched with oval jewel carvings; centre panel has fielded
geometric decoration, flanked by panels containing heads
carved in high relief enclosed beneath keyed round arches.
First floor: at north-west corner of first floor one blocked
3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window. Right end room has
4-centred chamfered and plastered brick fireplace, and
overmantel painting of red roses on interlace background,
Late C16 roofs all of similar construction with principal
rafters, cambered collars and clasped purlins.
Listing NGR: TL6756045068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings