History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Marys

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1829 / 53°10'58"N

Longitude: -2.8889 / 2°53'20"W

OS Eastings: 340692

OS Northings: 365462

OS Grid: SJ406654

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.3DRK

Mapcode Global: WH88F.L8J7

Entry Name: Church of St Marys

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375848

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469827

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH4

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Handbridge Park

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St Mary without the Walls

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4065 HANDBRIDGE
1932-1/8/168 (North West side)
10/01/72 Church of St Mary's
(Formerly Listed as:
OVERLEIGH ROAD
Parish Church of St Mary
Without-the-Walls)

GV II*

Parish church. 1885-87. By FB Wade at the expense of the first
Duke of Westminster. Squared snecked red sandstone with steep
Westmorland green slate roofs.
PLAN: west tower and spire; 5-bay aisled nave; south-east
chapel; 3-bay presbytery; organ chamber and loft and vestry; 2
south porches and north porch.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with recessed octagonal spire: angle
buttresses; canted baptistry with 3 lancets and hipped stone
roof on west face; rose window; lancet with blank lancet to
each side on north, west and south faces; clock-faces to
north, west and south flanked by blank trefoils; paired
louvred lancets as bell-openings on each face; machicolated
parapet; 2 pinnacles diagonally-set at each corner; lucarne to
each cardinal face of spire; weathervane; a 2-light window
with plate tracery to west end of each aisle. Gabled porch on
south face of tower added by PH Lockwood 1914 has boarded
double doors of oak on ornate wrought-iron hinges. South aisle
with triple lancets to each bay; gabled south-east porch with
trefoil window to west and boarded door on ornate hinges; 5
triple cusped lancets in recessed arched panels to clerestory
of nave; gutter on corbel-table. Pair of south gables to
south-east chapel, each with a pair of lancets with trefoil
above; 3-bay chancel clerestory has pairs of cusped lancets
surmounted by trefoils; 3 cinquefoil windows to east end of
chapel. East window of 3 lancets and 3 trefoils under moulded
arch, with a lancet and trefoil to each side. 2 lancets and
trefoils to east bay of north aisle; dual lancets to vestry
and, above, to east end of organ loft; north side of vestry
has gable chimney with dual lancet to each side. North porch
in corner with vestry has rainwater head dated 1886; boarded
oak door on ornate wrought-iron hinges; 4 triple lancets to
north aisle; 5 triple cusped lancets to clerestory. All bays
of the church have stepped buttresses gabled at the top.
INTERIOR: apsidal baptistry in tower has pillared stone font
with oak cover; fine encaustic tiled floor; glass including
Christ's baptism 1887 by Edward Frampton. Tower floor of


encaustic tiles; portrait memorial tablet to Hugh Lupus first
Duke of Westminster 1900; leaded oak glazed inner doors from
porch; full-height tower arch; double half-column west
responds and 4 concave-faced octagonal columns to each nave
arcade; half-octagon east responds; armorial glass in aisle
and clerestory windows; tall chancel arch with triple-shaft
responds; wood-block nave floor; 3 steps up to chancel; mosaic
floor; oak reading desk; oak pulpit with wrought-iron rail to
steps; wrought-iron screen to south-east chapel; bay-shafts;
stained glass clerestory, south; triforium to organ-loft,
north; sedilia, stepping up eastward; height of sanctuary
emphasised by tall shafts; altar rail of oak and wrought-iron;
excellent reredos by Frederic Shields and Clement Heaton,
centre-piece c1887, wings 1896; east window of Crucifixion,
probably by Frampton.
The south-east chapel has double cross-vaults of timber,
richly coloured glass in east cinquefoil windows.
A satisfying interior in proportions, spatial organisation,
detailing and liturgical furnishing.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Hubbard E: Cheshire:
Harmondsworth: 1971-: 174; Parochial Church Council, St Mary,
Handbridge: Correspondence with PH Lockwood: 1913-1914).


Listing NGR: SJ4069265462

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.