History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Military House

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.187 / 53°11'13"N

Longitude: -2.8922 / 2°53'31"W

OS Eastings: 340478

OS Northings: 365918

OS Grid: SJ404659

Mapcode National: GBR 79.3CYS

Mapcode Global: WH88F.J5Z3

Entry Name: Military House

Listing Date: 6 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470112

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4065NW CASTLE STREET
595-1/5/92 (North side)
No.24
Military House

GV II

Detached house, now office. 1826, altered C20. In the manner
of Thomas Harrison, probably designed for use of officers in
association with the Chester Regiment buildings on Castle
Square (not included). Flemish bond red brick with hipped grey
slate roof, main ridge parallel with front.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, symmetrical. Stone plinth. Added brick
porch has 4 apron steps to double doors of 2 fielded panels;
wedge lintel; frieze; pediments standing proud of parapet. 2
double-square 12-pane recessed sashes, with yellow sandstone
sills and wedge lintels, to each side of porch. Second storey
sillband; 5 recessed 12-pane sashes a little shorter than
those to the first storey, with stone wedge lintels; lead
rainwater pipes and heads inscribed GR 1826; stone frieze;
cornice and one-course parapet. 2 ridge chimneys,
symmetrically placed.
The plinth, sillband, frieze cornice and parapet continues
round sides and back. The east side has two 12-pane sashes to
front room; 2 blocked openings to rear room; 3 blocked
openings to second storey; lead head and pipe GR1826. The west
has a 12-pane sash to each storey before an added wing;
inscribed lead head and pipe. The rear has 2 sashes to each
side of rear wing; a GR.1828 rainwater head and pipe.
INTERIOR: straight stair of 2 flights with turned newel,
closed string, stick balusters and swept rail. Rooms have
possibly original fluted coved cornices, repaired. Most other
features are replaced.

Listing NGR: SJ4047865918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.