This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1871 / 53°11'13"N
Longitude: -2.8926 / 2°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 340452
OS Northings: 365932
OS Grid: SJ404659
Mapcode National: GBR 79.3CVG
Mapcode Global: WH88F.J5S0
Plus Code: 9C5V54P4+VX
Entry Name: Former Premises of Trustee Savings Bank
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470254
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4065NW GROSVENOR STREET
595-1/5/198 (South East side)
10/01/72 Former premises of Trustee Savings
Trustee Savings Bank, vacant in October 1990 when inspected.
1851-3. By James Harrison. Tooled sandstone with smooth flush
quoins; grey slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic, on prominent corner site.
Plinth. The north-west front to Grosvenor Street has recessed
entrance bay, east, with double carved panelled doors of oak
in arched opening with label-mould; janitor's window of one
cusped light, east; 2 pairs of cross-windows, west, with
cusped ogee lights; string-course rising above the windows. A
crenellated oriel of 4 cusped lights surmounted by panel
tracery, above the entrance; a pair of cross-windows, each
surmounted by 4 lights of panel tracery beneath a Tudor arch,
and a 4 light mullioned and transomed window with 8 lights of
panel tracery above, under a segmental arch; string-course
rising above each window; gable with carved parapet and finial
above entrance bay. The central bay has stringcourse with
carved punctuating stones and crenellated parapet with blank
tracery; the string course carried across the west bay which
has a 2-light casement with label-mould in gable with moulded
parapet, but finial removed; a well-handled corner
clock-turret faced with blank tracery and crowned with a Tudor
octagonal stone belfry cupola. East gable chimney with 3
separated flues on plinth.
The south-west face to Castle Square has 2 mullioned and
transomed 3-light windows and one of 2-lights and a blocked
secondary entrance. The second storey has a 5-light canted
oriel with lozenge panels in its parapet, a 3-light mullioned
and transomed window, one of 2 lights and a tripartite
mullioned and transomed casement of 3;3;3 lights. A gable with
parapet and finial contains a quatrefoil light; a crenel; a
dormer gable with a small cusped 1-light window; a crenellated
parapet with blank tracery. 2 shaped ridge chimneys with
separated octagonal crenellated flues on plinths.
The rear, partly altered in brick and with no features of
special interest, is inconspicuous.
INTERIOR: could not be inspected.
This item is the most happily composed and detailed of James
Harrison's designs in Chester.
Listing NGR: SJ4045265932
Other nearby listed buildings