This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.369 / 53°22'8"N
Longitude: -1.4878 / 1°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 434180
OS Northings: 385913
OS Grid: SK341859
Mapcode National: GBR 9CQ.J3
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.3LT3
Plus Code: 9C5W9G96+HV
Entry Name: James Nicholson Memorial in General Cemetery
Listing Date: 2 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376265
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470259
Location: Sheffield, S11
Electoral Ward/Division: Nether Edge and Sharrow
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Endcliffe St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 3485 NW SHEFFIELD CEMETERY ROAD
784-1/37/10056 James Nicholson Memorial in
Memorial monument. c.1872. Ashlar sandstone monument set within an elongated triangular enclosure. Elevated chest tomb surmounted by a statue of a woman kneeling at prayer. Tall stepped ashlar base, with chamfered plinth and tomb above, formerly with statues to each corner ( now removed), beneath bell-shapes canopies forming part of a moulded cornice, above which is set the statue. The tomb is set at the north end of the enclosure formed by a stepped ashlar plinth, surmounted by cast-iron panels with linked pierced circles and moulded posts.
The monument commemorates members of the Nicholson family, including Harriet Nicholson, (d.1876), her husband, who commissioned the monument (d.1909), and their children. The Nicholson family were prominent industrialists in Sheffield in the late C19. The monument stands close to that of another notable industrialist of the period, Mark Firth (item 37/162), with which it forms a group.
Listing NGR: SK3418085913
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings