History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 21 and 23 Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1911 / 53°11'27"N

Longitude: -2.8918 / 2°53'30"W

OS Eastings: 340510

OS Northings: 366373

OS Grid: SJ405663

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2S2D

Mapcode Global: WH88F.K15Y

Entry Name: Number 21 and 23 Street

Listing Date: 28 July 1955

Last Amended: 6 August 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470339

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester, St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE NORTHGATE STREET AND ROW
595-1/4/282 (West side)
28/07/55 Nos.21 & 23 Street
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTHGATE STREET
(West side)
No 21 Row & No 23 Row)

GV II*

Shop formerly with living accommodation, now shop and cafe, on
site of either one or 2 medieval tenements. The present
building is 1897 by H Beswick for Charles Brown. There were no
medieval undercrofts; the cellars incorporate Roman items. The
interior was altered late C20. Sandstone, timber-frame with
plaster panels, clay tile roof.
EXTERIOR: cellar and 3 storeys, now converted to 2. The Row, 2
steps above pavement level, has an arcade with a narrow cusped
archway to each side of a broader opening. Red sandstone
end-piers and 2 stop-chamfered intermediate posts on sandstone
plinths have carved jetty-brackets; the central opening has
cusped brackets in the bressumer. The second storey has
continuous mullioned and transomed leaded glazing with a
4-light canted oriel on brackets above each side-arch and
paired 3-light casements above the central opening; 5
principal posts with spiral colonnettes support carved
brackets to the jettied third storey which has an ornate skirt
to the base of the front gable, 4 pargeted panels inscribed
18:C:B:97 beneath a mullioned casement of 6 leaded lights with
3 curved struts to each side; ornate panels above casement;
shaped bargeboards on paired brackets; carved finial;
cast-iron rainwater heads. The rear is of brick, with no
features of special interest.
INTERIOR: the cellar of No.21 contained a Roman pit; the
cellar of No.23 has remains from Roman principia. The upper
storeys have no visible features of interest.
Nos 5-31 (odd) are collectively known as `Saddler's Row' and
were previously listed as Row numbers.
(Improvement Committee Minutes: Chester City Council: 1897-;
Chester Rows Research Project: Harris R: Northgate Street:
1989-).


Listing NGR: SJ4051066373

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.