This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1912 / 53°11'28"N
Longitude: -2.8919 / 2°53'30"W
OS Eastings: 340505
OS Northings: 366379
OS Grid: SJ405663
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2S2C
Mapcode Global: WH88F.K14X
Entry Name: Number 25 Street
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Last Amended: 6 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470341
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester, St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066SE NORTHGATE STREET AND ROW
595-1/4/283 (West side)
10/01/72 No.25 Street
(Formerly Listed as:
No 25 Row)
Undercroft, shop and restaurant, formerly the Woolpack Inn.
Medieval undercroft possibly of Roman origin, the Row and
upper storeys rebuilt, probably in 1903, by John Douglas
senior partner of Douglas and Minshull and modified c1914 to
design of 1909 by James Strong. Sandstone, timber frame with
plaster panels; roof of small green slates.
EXTERIOR: undercroft, now cellar, and 3 storeys. The Row
storey 2 steps above pavement level has a timber archway on
jowled posts. Brackets carry the jettied second storey which
has a moulded beam below a row of ornate panels under a
full-width window of 3 casements, each with 2 shaped mullions,
2 transoms, leaded glazing and carved pilasters to corners and
between casements carrying 4 brackets to support the moulded
third storey jetty-beam. The third storey has a 6-light
mullioned casement, ornate plaster panels and 4 colonnettes
beneath tall shaped brackets to the coved jetty of the front
gable which has quatrefoil panels in diagonal framing;
bargeboards. The rear is of no special interest.
INTERIOR: the long narrow cellar undercroft of sandstone is
largely medieval, but may have Roman, or reused Roman, stones
immediately above the bedrock at the east end of the north
wall. The surfaces of the Row and second and third storeys,
are largely covered and no feature of special historic
interest is visible.
Nos 5-31 (odd) are collectively known as `Saddler's Row' and
were previously listed as Row numbers.
(Improvement Committee Minutes: Chester City Council:
1902-1914; Chester Rows Research Project: Harris R: Northgate
Listing NGR: SJ4050566379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings