History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

9, Stanley Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1901 / 53°11'24"N

Longitude: -2.8972 / 2°53'50"W

OS Eastings: 340146

OS Northings: 366266

OS Grid: SJ401662

Mapcode National: GBR 79.34Q3

Mapcode Global: WH88F.G2LQ

Entry Name: 9, Stanley Place

Listing Date: 28 July 1955

Last Amended: 6 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470406

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SW STANLEY PLACE
595-1/3/367 (South side)
28/07/55 No.9
(Formerly Listed as:
STANLEY PLACE
Nos 1-9 (consec), No 10 & Nos 11-14
(consec))

GV II

Town house now joined with No.11 Stanley Place (qv) as
language school. 1780. Flemish bond brown brick with grey
slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Painted stone plinth; 2 stone steps,
east, to door of 4 fielded panels above 2 flush panels, with a
plain replaced overlight, in a pedimented doorcase. 2 recessed
sashes to first storey, 3 to second storey and 3 shorter
sashes to third storey, all 2-pane replacements; sills to
first and third storeys and sillband to second storey of
painted stone; slightly cambered painted gauged brick
window-heads; parapet cornice; rainwater head and pipe, lower
part removed, with bracket dated 1780; 2 west chimneys; long
rear wing with no visible features of interest.
INTERIOR: hall has modillion cornice, half-glazed Edwardian
inner door with sidelights and overlight, a basket arch with
pilaster, doors of 5 fielded panels to front and altered to
rear room in main block and to rear wing; the front room has
panelled embrasures with shutters and a cornice. The open-well
stair has curtail step, open string with shaped brackets,
plinthed stick balusters, tapered newels and swept handrail; a
round-arched window to the second half-landing. The second
storey front room has a 5-panel door, large panels beneath
dado rail and a fluted frieze to cornice; the lobby to the
rear wing has a basket arch with pilasters, 3 steps to a 6
panel door with fanlight. The third storey front room has a
2-panel door and panelled embrasures. There is a door of 5
fielded panels and 4-panel doors.


Listing NGR: SJ4014266254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.