History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Licensed Victuallers Benevolent Institution (Caroline Gardens)

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornton Heath, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4793 / 51°28'45"N

Longitude: -0.0608 / 0°3'38"W

OS Eastings: 534760

OS Northings: 177376

OS Grid: TQ347773

Mapcode National: GBR ZR.GW

Mapcode Global: VHGR6.W2QT

Plus Code: 9C3XFWHQ+PM

Entry Name: Licensed Victuallers Benevolent Institution (Caroline Gardens)

Listing Date: 28 February 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470541

Location: Southwark, London, SE15

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Livesey

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Camberwell Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Deptford

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3477SE ASYLUM ROAD
636-1/40/17 (West side)
28/02/62 Licensed Victuallers' Benevolent
Institution (Caroline Gardens)
Nos.1-100

GV II

Main block of Caroline Gardens, a complex of former
almshouses. 1827-33. By Henry Rose. Stock brick with stucco
cornice and plain blocking course. U-shaped range with lanes
through at each corner and houses facing out both ways and at
ends.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 bays each. Central chapel has hexastyle
Ionic portico, entablature with dentil cornice and pediment
over with "FOUNDED 1827" in tympanum either side of clock;
2-stage square classical cupola above. Projecting centre
section under portico has angle pilasters and high, battered
door with moulded architrave and console bracketed cornice.
Set back side sections have entrances (now bricked up) with
pilasters and entablature with dentil cornice. On the
stylobate 2 large Coade stone torchieres. Rest of range has
quoin pilasters and pilaster defining end 2 houses on each
side, which slightly project. Double doors with oblong
overlights. Gauged, cambered brick arches to sash windows with
glazing bars. Stucco string course with brick string below
above 1st floor.
Rear elevation similar with central, slightly projecting 3
bays (chapel) slightly higher, with quoin pilasters and
central door. Ends facing street of 5 bays with projecting
central 3 bays under pediment over entablature supported on 4
giant pilasters between windows. Stucco architraves to door
and windows, stuccoed plinth and 1st-floor sill band in this
section.
INTERIOR: chapel interior (destroyed in World War II) derelict
at time of survey.
Nos 1-100 Caroline Gardens form part of a huge complex
consisting of double U-shaped ranges around central garden
with wide court in between.

Listing NGR: TQ3476077375

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.