This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6539 / 53°39'14"N
Longitude: -3.0027 / 3°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 333826
OS Northings: 417959
OS Grid: SD338179
Mapcode National: GBR 7VG5.QX
Mapcode Global: WH861.VFB5
Plus Code: 9C5RMX3W+HW
Entry Name: Former Promenade Hospital
Listing Date: 15 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379734
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479139
Location: Sefton, PR9
Electoral Ward/Division: Duke's
Built-Up Area: Southport
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Southport Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/10/2019
PROMENADE (east side)
Marine Gate Mansions
Former Promenade Hospital
(Formerly listed as Promenade Hospital, PROMENADE)
Former convalescent hospital and sea-bathing infirmary. 1852-53, by Thomas Withnell for the Southport Strangers' Charity. Extended 1862. Front range 1881-83 by Paull & Bonella. Further alterations c1900 and later C20. Red brick with terracotta and ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: 1881 range has the main architectural interest. L-plan. North German Gothic Revival style. Plinth, first floor band, panelled frieze, crowstepped gables with coped gable stacks. Steep pitched roof with two quadruple stacks. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes, some reglazed. Three storeys plus attics; fifteen window range. In the centre, alternating single and double windows with segmental heads. Above, pairs of smaller windows. Above again, four dormers, two lights, with elaborate gables and finials. Beyond, on each side, an octagonal stair tower with similar fenestration, topped with an octagonal turret with spire and finial. End bays have two windows and single dormers. Right return, three windows, has similar fenestration. 1852 range and 1862 additions: two storeys.
1852 range: seven windows, has a central canted bay window, two storeys, flanked to left by a square bay window, single storey. Windows are segment headed cross casements. 1862 range: two storeys has coped gables and casement windows, some reglazed. Square plan, two storeys plus attics, forming two courtyards.
Main front to Seabank Road: thirteen windows, a central porch, two storeys with coped gable. Over the entrance a datestone inscribed "Founded 1806", and above it a pair of pointed arched windows. On each side, four large windows, now boarded, divided by pilasters under a cornice. Above four casements. At each end a projecting gable with a gable stack and two windows on each floor. Right return to Avondale Road, partly rendered.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SD3382617959
Other nearby listed buildings