History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Marie (Roman Catholic)

A Grade II Listed Building in Southport, Sefton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6525 / 53°39'9"N

Longitude: -3.0022 / 3°0'7"W

OS Eastings: 333858

OS Northings: 417804

OS Grid: SD338178

Mapcode National: GBR 7VG6.VD

Mapcode Global: WH861.VGK7

Plus Code: 9C5RMX3X+24

Entry Name: Church of St Marie (Roman Catholic)

Listing Date: 15 November 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379777

English Heritage Legacy ID: 479185

Location: Sefton, PR9

County: Sefton

Electoral Ward/Division: Duke's

Built-Up Area: Southport

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Southport Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Southport

Description


SOUTHPORT

SD3317NE SEABANK ROAD
664-1/9/182 (North side)
15/11/72 CHURCH OF ST MARIE
Roman Catholic Church

II

Roman Catholic church. Originally 1841, by Augustus Welby Northmore
Pugin, enlarged 1852, rebuilt 1875, facade rebuilt in replica
1924. Portland stone facade with sandstone dressings, steeply-
pitched 3-span roofs
STYLE: Decorated.
PLAN: nave on north-east/south-west axis with side aisles
under parallel roofs, 3-sided apse. Facade of 3 unequal
gables.
EXTERIOR: the gable of the nave has a full-width projected
rectangular porch with a statue in a niche flanked by gabled
entrances with 2-centred arched doorways, a pair of flying
buttresses rising from the sides of the porch, under the left
of these a semicircular vice with semi-conical roof, 3 unequal
lancets between the buttresses, that in the centre shorter to
allow for a rose window above, and a gabled bellcote.
The flanking gables of the aisles, which are smaller, each
have a 2-centred arched 3-light window with tracery. At the
sides the aisles have 2-centred arched 2-light windows and the
nave has segmental-pointed 2-light clerestory windows.
INTERIOR: 7-bay aisle arcades of quatrefoil columns carrying
2-centred double-chamfered arches; collar-truss roof with
king-struts, angle-struts and long straight braces from the
wall posts; 5-sided organ and choir gallery at west end,
supported on cast-iron columns; sanctuary with elaborate
carved reredos.

Listing NGR: SD3385817804

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.