This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1971 / 52°11'49"N
Longitude: -1.5555 / 1°33'19"W
OS Eastings: 430479
OS Northings: 255526
OS Grid: SP304555
Mapcode National: GBR 5NB.9JM
Mapcode Global: VHBY3.011H
Entry Name: Moreton Hall and Attached Terrace and Garden and Balustrading and Steps
Listing Date: 18 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482314
Location: Moreton Morrell, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Moreton Morrell
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Morrell Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP3055 VILLAGE STREET, Moreton Morrell
1901-1/11/146 (West side (off))
18/07/94 Moreton Hall and attached terrace
garden, balustrading and steps
Country house, now college. c1906. By WH Romaine-Walker. For
Charles Garland. Ashlar; slate roof with ashlar stacks.
Neo William and Mary style. Double-depth plan with cross
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement and attic; symmetrical
8-window range with 2-window wings. Channelled rustication to
basement; top cornice and balustraded parapet to mansard roof;
wings have pedimented attic storeys. Entrance up steps has
eared architrave with enriched frieze above, in Corinthian
aedicule with cartouche in swan-neck pediment; paired doors
with enriched bronze screens; steps have balustraded handrails
with bronze lamp standards with globe shades.
Basement has segmental-headed windows with triple keys to
architraves and small-paned sashes. Ground floor has windows
with sills, architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices to
18-pane sashes; those to first floor have 4-sided architraves
to 9-pane sashes; all with horned sashes and blind boxes.
Attic has flat-roofed dormers with cornices over 16-pane
sashes; wings have windows with architraves to 16-pane sashes.
Pediments have richly carved cartouches. Enriched lead
rainwater heads and downspouts.
Returns similar, with balustraded parapets, left return has
balustraded walls to basement area; 2-window ground-floor
projection over loggia. Rear similar to front, but wings have
projecting balustraded basements with steps to front and
Venetian windows to rooms rising through ground and first
floors. Terrace garden has balustrading and steps to all
INTERIOR: recorded as having great hall with plastered
barrel-vaulted ceiling in Edwardian Baroque manner to one
wing; dining room and library to other wing.
HISTORY: Charles Garland was also responsible for the building
of the real tennis court (qv). WH Romaine-Walker also designed
Moreton Paddox (demolished) for Garland's brother-in-law,
Robert Emmett, in the same parish a mile or two to the east.
Now Warwickshire College of Agriculture.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 358; Warwickshire Local History
Society Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses of
Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 54-6, 66).
Listing NGR: SP3047955526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings