History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thornton Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ettington, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1506 / 52°9'2"N

Longitude: -1.6003 / 1°36'0"W

OS Eastings: 427447

OS Northings: 250336

OS Grid: SP274503

Mapcode National: GBR 5NV.47C

Mapcode Global: VHBY8.66VN

Entry Name: Thornton Manor

Listing Date: 5 April 1967

Last Amended: 27 April 2000

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482975

Location: Ettington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Ettington

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Ettington

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in

Listing Text



(East side (off))
Thornton Manor
(Formerly Listed as:
Thornton Farmhouse)


Farmhouse. Mid C16 with c1658 alterations and additions and
C20 restorations. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; steeply pitched roof with stone slate to front and
left pitches and machine tile to rear, and stone ridge and
lateral stacks. E-plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 5-window range. Gabled cross-wings, that
to left projecting to rear, with extension, and gabled porch
wing, the entrance replaced by one to left; large external
stack to re-entrant angle of right wing. To left of centre a
mid C17 Tudor-headed entrance in chamfered reveals has studded
plank door with enriched strap hinges and stone-slate pentice.
Recessed-chamfered-mullioned windows with labelmoulds; ground
floor has 2- plus 2-light window to each wing, and 3-light
window to centre in place of entrance and to right of centre;
1st floor has 3-light windows; 3-light attic windows to wings,
and 2-light attic window to porch; windows to right of centre
have altered labelmoulds, no label to that over entrance; left
wing has pair of small round-headed lights with chamfered
arches to 1st floor right return.
Left return has large external stack to right end, with
offsets and renewed string course, cornice and small light;
ground floor has 3-light and 4-lights windows and signs of
blocked window next to stack; 1st floor has 2-light and
4-light windows; 2 gabled roof dormers with 2-light leaded
casements; possible blocked entrance between windows; axial
stack to junction between roofs. Extension has entrance at
right end with heavy frame to 6-panel (2 glazed) door; 2
2-light windows and 3-light window to ground floor and 3-light
Right return has 2-light ovolo-mullioned stair window has
3-light window to right with 4-light window above.
Rear has gable to left with 3-light ground floor window, and
signs of blocked windows to 1st floor and attic; signs of
raised eaves; large lateral stack to left of 2-storey
flat-roofed projection with 3-light C20 window to 1st floor,
and large 3-light window to right with 2-light window above,
no labelmoulds. Return of projecting wing has 3-light windows
flanking inserted C20 window, lateral stack with lean-to
projection to front and 2-light window and 3-light window to
right; 1st floor with 2-light window to each end, that to left
is probably C20. End has brick gable and inserted C20 window
with casement to each floor.
INTERIOR: central room has moulded stop-chamfered spine beam
with similar cross-beam; stop-chamfered joists; ashlar
fireplace with moulded Tudor arch in architrave and date 1411
to right jamb. Room to left wing has chamfered beam and
stop-chamfered joists; stop-chamfered bressumer to ashlar
fireplace with benches flanking inserted stone chimneybreast
and light. Room to right wing has large stop-chamfered beam
and ashlar fireplace with moulded 4-centred arch; 4-panel door
with HL-hinges. Dog-leg staircase to rear has probably re-used
splat balusters with wavy contours.
Rear wing has former kitchen with chamfered spine beam and
cross-beam and large stone fireplace with moulded bressumer
labelmould. 1st floor recorded as having probably re-set
ashlar fireplace; main door reputedly to be from Warwick Gaol.
The house is on or near the site of the deserted village of
(Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the County of
Warwick: London: 1949-: 77-84).

Listing NGR: SP2744750336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.