History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ritchie Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wells, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2121 / 51°12'43"N

Longitude: -2.6449 / 2°38'41"W

OS Eastings: 355046

OS Northings: 146078

OS Grid: ST550460

Mapcode National: GBR MN.3XC1

Mapcode Global: VH89S.3SLN

Entry Name: Ritchie Hall

Listing Date: 12 November 1953

Last Amended: 31 May 2000

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383166

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483584

Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Wells

Built-Up Area: Wells

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wells

Listing Text


WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY
662-1/6/301 (North side)
12/11/53 No.5
Ritchie Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
THE LIBERTY
(North side)
No.5
(Formerly listed as Cathedral
Grammar School, North Liberty))

GV II*

Part of the Wells Cathedral School. 1884, but incorporating
fragments of a C12 Canon's Barn. Local stone roughly squared
and coursed, with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roofs with
terracotta ridge, coped gables.
EXTERIOR: single and 2-storey, in a C15 style, 4 bays. Bay 1
is a projecting hall, with 5-light mullioned and transomd
window with hoodmould over, bays 2 and 4, set back, have
similar windows. Bay 3 is a deep projecting 2-storey porch,
with plinth, parapet string and crenellation; the first floor
has two 2-light C15-style traceried windows, and below is the
entrance doorway with a moulded arch with label. Above the
door a flush stone plaque is inscribed:
"SCHOLA/CATHEDRALIS/MDCCCLXXXIV".
INTERIOR: in the rear part of the building are 6 square piers
with slightly rounded corners, to square chamfered abaci, and
on double offset chamfered bases, carrying a heavy square
aisle-plate. According to Pevsner documents refer to the
Canon's Barn in Bishop Reginald's time, c1175-90, and if these
are fragments from that time, they are the earliest secular
fabric remaining in the city, and hence of considerable
historic interest.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).

Listing NGR: ST5504646078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.