History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

11, the Liberty

A Grade II Listed Building in Wells, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2124 / 51°12'44"N

Longitude: -2.6443 / 2°38'39"W

OS Eastings: 355090

OS Northings: 146108

OS Grid: ST550461

Mapcode National: GBR MN.3XJ3

Mapcode Global: VH89S.3SXF

Entry Name: 11, the Liberty

Listing Date: 12 November 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383169

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483587

Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Wells

Built-Up Area: Wells

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wells

Listing Text


WELLS

ST5446 THE LIBERTY
662-1/6/304 (North side)
12/11/53 No.11

GV II

Former Canonical house, now part of Wells Cathedral Junior
School. Early to mid C18, extension 1879. Random coursed local
stone rubble with Doulting ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof
behind tall parapets, ashlar chimney stacks. A symmetrical
double-depth plan with central staircase hall; the C19
extension includes a new sitting-room and cottage.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement, 3 wide bays, the outer ones
full-height shallow canted bays with windows to each facet.
Parapet band and plain parapet. All windows 12-pane sashes in
moulded stone architraves with keystones. Entrance in centre
has a 6-panel door with an 8-pane sash as a sidelight each
side, all arranged as a Venetian opening with Doric pilasters,
entablature over window, and semicircular radially-glazed
fanlight with hood over door. Extensions to rear, left.
INTERIOR: the stone-flagged hall has contemporary dado
panelling, with a triple-arched screen with architraves,
keystones and imposts, through to staircase with 3 turned
balusters to each tread. Ground-floor left has a wide blocked
elliptical arch to recess, and room to right includes a wide
pair of doors with fielded panels. One upper room has a
fireplace with eared architrave. The basement has wide
segmental groined vaults in rough-set stonework.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the property is first recorded in 1375; in
1660 William Busby, later headmaster of Westminster School,
was in occupation. In 1969 the property was leased to the
Cathedral School.
(Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 28 TO
40).


Listing NGR: ST5509046108

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.