This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2121 / 51°12'43"N
Longitude: -2.6446 / 2°38'40"W
OS Eastings: 355068
OS Northings: 146078
OS Grid: ST550460
Mapcode National: GBR MN.3XFM
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3SRN
Entry Name: St Andrew's Lodge with Front Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483586
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5446 THE LIBERTY
662-1/6/303 (North side)
St Andrew's Lodge, with front
Former Charity School, now part of the Wells Cathedral School;
linked to No.5 (qv) adjoining. School, founded 1713. Random
coursed local stone rubble with Doulting ashlar dressings,
Welsh slate roof with sawn stone ridge between coped gables,
one brick and one stone chimney stack. Double-depth
central-hall plan with transverse stair to rear right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, symmetrical 5 bays. 2-light stone
casements with transom, with slight beading to all members,
set in moulded architraves, the ground-floor windows having
pediment hoods. Entrance in bay 3, with a 6-panel door and
rectangular fanlight set in stone architrave over which is a
semicircular pediment enclosing a carved figure of Saint
Andrew. C19 lean-to and other extensions to rear, and to east
gable, set back, in brick with stone dressings.
INTERIOR: hall to full depth retains black and white marble
slabs set diagonally; return to stair with C19 ceramic tiles.
Both main rooms have late C19 fireplaces. Ground floor has 4
large, flat, chamfered and stopped ceiling beams. Stair has
turned balusters to moulded and swept handrail to square
newels. Small service room in outshot behind stair has broad
fireplace with brick jambs and deep flush square lintel,
probably reset. Fielded 6-panel doors. Fireplaces are late
C19. Roof not seen. Detail is generally later than the
exterior would indicate.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: extending southwards from the south-west
corner of the house, returning along front boundary and then
back to south-east corner an enclosing wall in random stone
with moulded ashlar copings, dropping to 1m height along
front, swept up at ends. At the left-hand end is a broad
ashlar pier, and opposite the main entry a low pair of square
ashlar gate piers having moulded pyramidal cappings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: erected by Philip Hodges, a citizen of Wells,
for the school, which it remained until moved in the early C19
to Portway. After several tenancies as a private house it
became briefly after 1947 a Canonical House, before being
leased to the Cathedral School in 1955.
(Bailey S: Canonical Houses of Wells: Gloucester: 1982-: 184;
The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).
Listing NGR: ST5506846078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings