This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5009 / 52°30'3"N
Longitude: -2.8031 / 2°48'11"W
OS Eastings: 345576
OS Northings: 289522
OS Grid: SO455895
Mapcode National: GBR BG.HGLF
Mapcode Global: VH761.CDFP
Entry Name: Acton Scott Hall Including Service Court and Railings
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483623
Location: Acton Scott, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Acton Scott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Acton Scott
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO48NE Acton Scott Hall including service
1312-1/10/6 court and railings
House. c1580 with medieval vestiges, early C19 alterations and
additions. Brick with ashlar dressings to windows, quoins, and
moulded storey bands, lower ground storey of stone rubble.
Plain-tile roofs with moulded ashlar coped gables with
finials. Mullion and transom windows throughout all with
lattice metal glazing bars, and straight dripmoulds over
top-storey windows. 2 stepped large projecting stacks on each
side, with one stack wider, with upper spurred shafts of
restored moulded brick with oversailing continuous caps, with
4 shafts on the wider stacks and 2 shafts on the others.
Square plan with 3 gables on each side with brick extension
wing on the west side.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and 3 storeys to garden side. Entrance
front (north) is a 4-storey, 3-window range of 3-light mullion
and transom windows, the top-storey windows set wider on the
elevation than those below, the lower ground-floor windows
without transoms, the central windows on the lower 2 storeys
now covered by a brick projecting entrance lobby extension
with 3-light mullion window at mezzanine level and with front
entrance door on the left return side.
Garden front (south): 3-storey, 3-window range with 2-storey
canted projecting mullion and transom bay windows with hipped
tiled roofs flanking central 3-light mullion and transom
window over a 2-light mullion and transom window, 2-light
mullion and transom windows at top storey. 2 ornamented lead
spouts, hoppers and downpipes. To left of range is garden
entrance set in brick extension; ashlar door surround with
segmental pediment on pilasters with Acton Arms in tympanum of
West side: 4-storey, 3-window range of 2-light mullion and
transom windows, 3-light mullion and transom at top level
centre, the windows separated by the 2 large projecting
stacks. Doorway through the left stack, the lower left window
brick-blocked. 2-storey brick extension covering the lower 2
storeys to the right; brick extension with segmental arched
East side: 4-storey, 3-window range of 3-light mullion and
transom windows, now with single top-storey window to right
and 3 windows to left. Doorway to central bay. Windows
separated by the 2 large projecting stacks and the middle bay
projecting forward between the stacks below the top storey.
Ashlar segmental arched fireplace surround set in right stack
from former 2-storey extension wing demolished mid-late C20.
INTERIOR: good plasterwork in ceiling of dining room with
pomegranate and rose motifs. Plaster cornice ornamented with
squirrels and grotesque heads in library plus some imported
panelling from nearby house.
Carved mantelpiece in drawing room inscribed `S.A. 1641'. Late
Greenhouse and stone rubble slate-roofed buildings form a
service courtyard which abuts the brick extension on the west
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: pair of gatepiers frame iron gate with
railings running 25 metres to third pier, all of which abut
the service buildings and encloses west side of garden; piers
of brick with moulded ashlar bases, quoins, corniced caps
surmounted by vases (cf Gateway 5 metres east of Churchyard).
Listing NGR: SO4557689522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings