History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stackhouse Acton Memorial at Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Acton Scott, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5001 / 52°30'0"N

Longitude: -2.8063 / 2°48'22"W

OS Eastings: 345363

OS Northings: 289442

OS Grid: SO453894

Mapcode National: GBR BG.HMS5

Mapcode Global: VH761.9FS7

Plus Code: 9C4VG52V+3F

Entry Name: Stackhouse Acton Memorial at Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 8 October 2004

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1391137

English Heritage Legacy ID: 493373

Location: Acton Scott, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Acton Scott

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Acton Scott

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Acton Scott

Description

ACTON SCOTT

825/0/10049 Stackhouse Acton Memorial at Church of
08-OCT-04 St Margaret

GV II

Group of 2 raised gabled tombs set in railed enclosure. Tombs of ashlar, solid slabs with sloping sides, gabled ends and with raised ridge roll. Inscribed on one slope. Railings are of cast-iron with double moulded upper rails, spear-head finials to standard which are square in plan; octagonal main standards with pineapple finials. The tomb to the north commemorates Frances Stackhouse Acton d.1791. The tomb at south commemorates Thomas Pendarves Stackhouse Acton d.1835. The Acton family were lords of the manor and in 1773 Susanna daughter of Sir Edward Acton married John Stackhouse the botanist, thus bringing that name into the family. John Stackhouse d.1819 Lord of Acton Scott left £500 for a family pew which was erected as a N transept/chapel in 1820 . Stackhouse's widow owned Acton Scott until her death when she was succeeded by her younger son Thomas Pendarves Stackhouse who assumed the additional name of Acton, d.1835. N transept chapel in Gothick style contains memorials to the Stackhouse Acton family [and is similar in its general outline to the Acton family chapel at Acton Round of c.1760 which was probably designed by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard]. This enclosure was clearly constructed attached to the chapel to contain family churchyard monuments.
The tombs form a group with the Church of St. Margaret, Acton Scott [q.v.]

Reference: Victoria County History Shropshire Vol X 1998.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.