This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5001 / 52°30'0"N
Longitude: -2.8062 / 2°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 345368
OS Northings: 289434
OS Grid: SO453894
Mapcode National: GBR BG.HMT9
Mapcode Global: VH761.9FT9
Plus Code: 9C4VG52V+2G
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483630
Location: Acton Scott, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Acton Scott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Acton Scott
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO48NE Church of St Margaret
Church. C12 nave, tower C14, chancel and nave south wall
rebuilt C19, porch dated 1722, north chapel 1820.
MATERIALS: stone rubble and coursed stone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Plain-tiled nave roof, slate chancel roof with
ashlar coped gable, hipped slate north chapel roof.
PLAN: chancel, nave with north transept and south porch, west
tower offset slightly to south.
EXTERIOR: chancel with C19 east window of triple stepped
lancets. 2-light flat-headed south window with cusped ogee
tracery renewed early C20 and set in former doorway.
Nave: north wall with small C12 lancet to right, wall to left
partly covered by north chapel. North chapel with opposing
east and west pointed windows with simple tracery, that to the
east with adjacent boarded door set in slightly projecting
ashlar surround with 4-centred arched opening. South wall with
C19 pointed window with simple tracery to right; to left is
south doorway of simple chamfered round-arched opening and
early C19 panelled door all covered by projecting gabled porch
with round-headed arched opening incorporating datestone,
dated 1722; renewed cusped lancet at high level over porch.
Tower: 2 stage tower. Lower stage has pointed window to west
and restored doorway to south with shouldered lintel and with
small lancet over. Upper stage has louvred bell-opening on
each face with shouldered lintel under stepped hoodmould, with
those to the east and south wider and with central mullion.
Clockface to east face. String course and battlemented parapet
INTERIOR: chancel with 3-bay twin-purlin roof with 4 restored
C15 arch-braced collar trusses with half-lapped cusped
Nave: 4-bay twin-purlin roof with 3 restored arched braced
collar trusses with moulded soffits and with cusped
North chapel for Stackhouse family: square on plan, with
ribbed Gothic Revival plastered ceiling and entablatures. West
gallery c1817. C19 font. Late C19 pews with dado panelling
from earlier box pews. 2 bells of c1350 by John of Gloucester
and one C15 bell from Worcester.
Chancel has large monument to Edward Acton d.1747, a
sarcophagus under a canopy with paired Tuscan columns, metope
frieze and pediment; designed by William Baker and executed by
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 52).
Listing NGR: SO4536889434
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings