This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5463 / 53°32'46"N
Longitude: -2.6168 / 2°37'0"W
OS Eastings: 359224
OS Northings: 405689
OS Grid: SD592056
Mapcode National: GBR BW5F.8H
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.S426
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 11 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484918
Location: Wigan, WN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ince
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan St Catharine
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50NE LORNE STREET
24-1/2/31 Church of St Catherine
Church. 1840, by Edmund Sharpe of Lancaster. Coursed squared
sandstone, slate roof. Gothick Early English.
PLAN: nave and aisles in one vessel, with south vestry, short
chancel, west steeple linked to nave by short narthex with
stair-turrets in angles.
EXTERIOR: square 2-stage tower with gabled sides,
angle-buttresses and corner pinnacles, mediated to a tall
octagonal belfry also with gabled sides, carrying a tall
octagonal spire with lucarnes on 2 levels: the tower has a
2-centred arched west doorway with deep moulded surround and
hood-mould, and stepped triple-lancet windows in each side of
the upper stage with metal clock-faces in the gables over
them; the belfry has slender angle buttresses, a narrow lancet
in each side with a blind multifoil in the gable above, and
finials to the gables of the cardinal sides. The stair-turrets
have angle-buttresses carried up to pinnacles, and a lancet in
each side. The 6-bay aisles, with small buttresses and
parapets with ridged coping, have a pair of lancets in each
bay; the south aisle has a low vestry to the 6th bay with
arched doorway and windows, and hipped roof. The chancel has a
stepped triple-lancet east window. All windows have
hood-moulds with small foliated stops.
INTERIOR: single vessel with short sanctuary; trefoil-panelled
galleries on 3 sides carried on cast-iron columns, organ on
west gallery; box pews (removed from west end which is now
partitioned off by glazed screen); queen-strut roof with
wrought-iron straps; octagonal pulpit on unusually high
slender pedestal; panelled Gothic-style war memorial at west
end dated 1922.
Forms group with boundary wall of churchyard (qv), and with St
Catherine's vicarage to south (qv).
Listing NGR: SD5922405689
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings